Changing our culture

Great article @Leslie_Cruse Thanks for sharing. For further reading, this is a good book:

2 Likes

@Chris_Mause - Have you seen the Creating an Inclusive Learning Environment PD+ Video? (link here). This is one of our Mentor videos, filmed by Kam Yee, Team Engagement Manager from the REC Foundation.

This video is a treasure trove of actionable strategies and advice that are particularly effective in creating an inclusive and safe space for girls in STEM. Check it out, and keep us posted on your team!

What a great read, @Leslie_Cruse - thanks for sharing! I agree with what you cited - and it calls to mind the idea of parents and teachers working together on behalf of the children - not either, or. Sometimes giving parents a gentle ā€œnudgeā€ can be really helpful, because teachers and parents can sometimes see different sides of the same child.

For instance, I remember a situation where I was talking about a child at a parent-teacher conference, and the parent was completely surprised by what their child was really into at school, because their ā€˜home interestsā€™ were much different.

I have a quick question- because now being a part of this community, I feel like Iā€™m somewhat in the loop now. Now that competitions and things are starting again, is there any website with dates and times in the Pittsburgh area for anything like this? For example students that may be interested could attend to watch and see or even myself? Our high school doesnā€™t offer robotics which is unfortunate. So they play with them somewhat in elementary, then here with me in middle school and then just a wide range of coding & Tech ed classes in high school. So if a student does have a strong desire to learn more, they would need to do it outside of school. So if anyone knows of anything in Pittsburgh, please share. Iā€™m happy to advertise to students.

Hi @Bonnie_Sikorski - you can find info on upcoming events on the REC site- https://www.robotevents.com/map. Just zoom in to your region and you will see pins for different events.

Select the pin to get more details. As you can see, there is an upcoming Tipping Point Competition in PGH.

Please let us know if you have any further questions. We can start a new topic.

@Bonnie_Sikorski If you are interested in taking some students to watch the competition at NA, let me know. Also, @David_Kelly may have some info on competitions that are streamed that your students may be able to watch