100th Day

The 100th day of school is soon approaching. Does anyone have ideas of ways to use Vex Go or VEX 123 as a 100th Day STEM activity? @Desiree_White-Price @Danielle_McCoy @Anna_Blake @Audra_Selkowitz @Aimee_DeFoe

1 Like

Oooh! Let me think about that one a little, and I’ll send over some ideas :slight_smile:

@Tina_Dietrich I am thinking of coding the number 100. Also, putting 100 objects (pom poms) on the board and setting a timer for 3 minutes. I will see which team knocks off the most. We are going to code counting by 10s.

1 Like

Hi @Tina_Dietrich ! I was definitely thinking like @Desiree_White-Price and having the VEX Go students code to “trace” over around the numeral 100.

For 5th grade, they often celebrate the 1,000 day of school! They could code that as well and extend the activity by incorporating the colored disks (green at the beginning and green, blue, red at the end as a “celebratory color light show” after they code their code bases to "drive the outline of 1,000).

1 Like

These are great ideas! With my kindergarten classes, we used to make 100 of something for the 100th day of school - it became a whole project each year, and often for each thing we made, we’d pair it with 1 thing we’d learned in Kindergarten. So by the end, you had almost like an installation style bulletin board, and a list of 100 things - ranging from learning about math and reading to things like learning about listening and making friends.

Along those lines, you could do like a “VEX-athon” and try to create 100 VEX 123 projects for the 100th day of school. It could be multiple classes, and you could use the printables to document the projects, so you could turn it into a bulletin board (and hang the projects in the shape of the number 100, of course :slight_smile: ). Students could also share 1 thing they’ve learned in school that year, or in VEX time more specifically to go with each project.

For VEX GO, you could challenge students to create 100 small builds, and take photos of each. Or have students design builds that use 100 pieces. Of course, building the number 100 out of pieces is always a fun option too!

Just some thoughts :slight_smile: Hope it’s helpful!

1 Like

How about creating a 100th day VEX GO Dance Party where the challenge would be to create 100 total dance moves for the Code Base? You could assign each group to code a certain number of dance moves, and then put all the robots out on the floor together and put on some music!

Or, if you wanted to do something more math focused, you could create a large VEX GO Field - maybe 4 tiles by 4 tiles. Come up with a list of 2-digit number combinations that add up to 100, and put them on squares on the Field Tiles (one number on each square). Then, partner kids up and have the first partner code the Code Base to first number in the equation (e.g. 34). The second partner then has to figure out what number to add to the first to get to 100, and code the robot to land on it (in this case, 66!).

3 Likes

I haven’t tried these out yet but was thinking of the following ideas:

What can you do with 100 cups? Have students design an obstacle course using cup stacks of varying heights and assign points to the cups. Which robot can collect 100 points?

What can you build with 100 pieces?

Code a VEX GO robot to knock down a domino chain of the number 100 or 100 dominoes?

3 Likes

Thanks for the ideas! I am definitely putting these on my list for next year.