2 ft by 3 ft VEX V5 Frame

Hi Everyone! Our team is trying to build a 2 ft by 3 ft frame using the VEX V5 system. We need the vex robot to have the following capabilities:

• Can carry 50 lbs
  • Uses a frame that can carry 5-6 wheels on each side
  • Has high strength axle and bearings
  • Has vex ultrasonic sensor that is used to start/stop when an object/obstacle gets in front of the robot

We want this frame to be able to hold and transport the 50 lb hydroponic system that we are building. If anyone has any examples that we can follow for how to build a system like this or any parts we need to buy in order to expedite the assembly and build more efficiently, we’d really appreciate the help. Please don’t hesitate to leave any suggestions or advice below!

Thanks,
BEAST XLR8

1 Like

Hi Chicago:)

Some things I would throw out there to get this thread started.
Consider:

1. HS Axles offered by VEX that can be driven by V5 motors
  2. HS Axle bearings for those axles to pass through
    3… VEX gear cartridges that provide enough torque
  3. A good number of wheels/motors on each side of the robot to support the payload
  4. What is referred to as “tank steering” which does NOT mean treads, I think omni wheels would work well in my opinion.
  5. Consider once you build out the drive train and basic chassis, you could deck it with a 2x3 sheet of 3mm thick aluminum, providing some real rigidity/strength to the chassis
  6. Waterproof container for robot brain
  7. A whole bunch of other things that people will pipe in with that I have overlooked :slight_smile:
  8. While this is being built out by your team, consider having your programmer use [VEXCODE VR](https://vr.vex.com/) to get ready so that when the robot is built you can have a jump on things

Best of luck, very excited to see what you put together :slight_smile: Mr. Scott

1 Like

Hi @CSU_BEAST_XLR8, everything that @Doug_Scott has mentioned would be extremely helpful for the build. Using the high strength shafts, bearings, and high strength gears will make it possible for us to move such a considerable amount of weight. Utilizing multiple motors as well as multiple wheels per side would be great in order to distribute the weight you plan to transport. I have quickly drawn up what a potential design could look like, with the specific design criteria mentioned taken into account. You’ll see that a 2’x3’ bot is possible, utilizing multiple structural pieces (drawn with a double solid line), four omni-wheels powered by a gear train that will be geared down (horizontal lines, some denoted “g”) from our two motors, per side.

Set up in this configuration, the two V5 Smart Motors (11W) per side would be geared down enough (when using the red 100rpm insert) to move that side either forward, or reverse, such as Doug is mentioning with tank drive. Utilizing the omni wheels (ovals in drawing) will allow for your bot to have a tight turning radius, with the specific point of turning located directly center with the brain. An additional 4 wheels located closer to the brain will help reduce the sag experienced by holding such a weight. Also with most of your electronics located in the center of the chassis, I’m sure waterproofing options would be very easy since everything is located very close together maximizing efficiency.

Some things I would recommend to complete a bot like this include the high strength shafts as well as bearings, the VEX V5 System Bundle which will allow you access to the motors, brain, battery, and wires to make your bot come to life, I would recommend using steel channels mostly and other VEX structure pieces as they will strengthen and be the backbone for the chassis.

Now, in order to mount the high strength shafts with these metal pieces, you’ll need to perform some cutting so I recommend using a step drill bit like this one. This will allow you to incrementally increase the size of the holes on the structure pieces, and will allow you to fit a high strength shaft through and securely mount it.
I’ll continue to generate further assistance, but let me know what you think of my preliminary design and placements. And I also do want to apologize for my delay in response. Let me know if there is anything else I can look into!