America's most important institution: Elementary Schools

@Audra_Selkowitz
@Aimee_DeFoe
@Anna_Blake

2 Likes

I couldn’t agree more! I always cringe when I hear people say things like “It’s JUST Elementary School” - there is no “Just” about it! You need to build a solid foundation build around more than just drilling specific skills - I love that this article talks about school culture as well. Setting students up to be successful in later education is so much easier if they enjoy learning in the first place, and see school as a safe place.

1 Like

I completely agree with you! It’s not just elementary school - but instead it’s the foundation for the rest of your life. Everyone has the ability to imagine and grow during the years from 5-11 years old. After that - there’s more pressure. I’m such an advocate for kids just being kids - for as long as possible!

@Jason_McKenna this is an amazing article! I completely agree that elementary is the foundation for children to start that computational thinking - but also to just imagine and create with hands - on activities. Although we are using enough hand sanitizer to fill a swimming pool this year - I whole heartedly believe in hands - on learning especially in grades 3-5. I will sanitize like no tomorrow just so kids can build and get some experience this year using their hands to create.

2 Likes