An interesting article...What are your thoughts?

I read an article on Education Next, “Time to Pull the Plug on Traditional Grading?”, which made the claim that ‘supporters of mastery based grading say it could promote equity’. It was an interesting article, but ultimately left me with more questions than the ‘solutions’ that it seemed to be offering.

The concept of mastery oriented grading is a great one. Many traditional grading schemas are outdated, subjective, inequitable, and don’t accurately reflect learning, but instead a ‘hodgepodge’ of criteria (including things that may or may not be in a students’ control, like a home environment conducive to timely homework practices). For many, many reasons, traditional points-based grades aren’t necessarily a great option. And in terms of the overall goal of education, which should be about learning and the processes therein, giving students feedback about their understanding and learning makes sense. But that’s where this article gives me pause…

Because it comes down to the question of WHY are we grading students in the first place? Is the grade a reflection on learning? Is it feedback for future progress? Is it a snapshot of improvement? Is it a judgment of behavior? How does a grade reflect the goal or value of education for our students?

I think many of us can agree that traditional grading schemas aren’t working the way we want them to. However, will changing from an A-F 100 point scale to a scale of 1-5 really make the difference that we want it to? Sure the ‘equitable grading’ that the article mentions comes with certain caveats like making up assignments, redoing tests for mastery, not counting missing homework or punctuality punitively, etc. which are all good things. But if we are just changing the grading schema without changing other things that do not support student learning, are we just slapping makeup on a pig (or however the saying goes…)?

Can ‘equitable grading’ without other fundamental systemic changes really have the desired effect? For instance, we’re forcing students to be functional humans at school for long days with early starts, at a developmental stage where they need more sleep than ever before. Then we’re saddling them with homework and extra curricular activities that extend that day into the evening. And we’re expecting students to move from 45 minute period to 45 minute period and be ‘with it’ and engaged and mentally ready to learn NONSTOP during said long day. Most adults I know (myself included) can’t sustain that pace and make meaningful connections to the material I’m trying to learn.

I know that fundamental systemic change isn’t something any of us is in control of, however, what are the things that we can do to support student learning, make education more equitable, and empower students to be present and accountable for their education? I don’t think that it’s just a grading system? But maybe I’m wrong… what do you think?

@Audra_Selkowitz Thanks for sharing this article! The school where I used to be principal didn’t give grades until middle school, and we often had a debate amongst the faculty about whether we should be giving grades at all. I think moving to a mastery-based system is a step in the right direction!

But, you are right that systemic change has to happen in order for us to truly support students in reaching their full potential, and that must include wholistic support of our teachers by treating them as the professionals they are, with fair compensation and expectations. Given the current demands on our teachers, it is no wonder that many teachers are skeptical of making such a radical change to their profession! I truly don’t believe real change to the way we assess students (or to education as a whole) can happen until we commit to this.

And, that means that there are countless students out there who will not realize what they are capable of, because of the way traditional grading reduces students into a homogenous group rather than individuals that exist within cultural, familial, societal, and medical boundaries, just to name a few. That doesn’t just hurt those students, it hurts all of us, as a society. We certainly have a lot of work to do!