Automating the scoring for the Team Freeze Tag competition

A few years ago I had the honor to be a volunteer referee/scorekeeper at the VEX World Championship. I soon learned that I am not very talented at doing real-time scoring during a match. I was recently reviewing the activity, Team Freeze Tag as part of the Freeze Tag STEM Lab. This competition requires real-time scoring to keep track of how many tags each Robot Alliance makes. I was thinking perhaps some other people might also have trouble with real-time scoring and with a little iteration of the VEXcode IQ project, each robot could keep track of how often it has been tagged. Then the scores could just be read off the robots’ displays at the end of the match. I also added a wait block in the project to eliminate rapid tagging and allow a robot time to escape when it becomes re-enable. The changes to the project would look like:

Please let me know if you think this would be helpful or if you have any additional ideas for the Freeze Tag competition.

5 Likes

What a great idea @David_Kelly! I can imagine with the excitement of the competition in a classroom, keeping score could definitely get a bit tricky :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is a great iteration on the code for TFT @David_Kelly ! Thanks for sharing- I’m sure there will many student and teacher score keepers that would appreciate this!

1 Like

Another plus is the iteration provides a way to introduce variables!

2 Likes