Camps and Classroom Tech Week Tips

I just finished my fourth camp, and am planning my next Girl Powered event for October. I thought I would jot down some tips that I have developed.

**Variety is the Spice of Life-**The camps and special tech weeks that I have been involved with have included students of various ages in one group. Most of the time, I know the ages of the students participating, but not their experience level prior to the event. Students of all ages have different experience levels and some of the younger students may surprise you. I always start with a quick survey of where everyone’s beginning experience level is, so I know what types of challenges to present. I usually have a theme like Robot Olympics, Robot Sports, or All is “Fair” in Robotics and plan a variety of competitions or activities and pull the ones that meet the students’ ability levels. No one wants a student to leave a camp or activity day saying they were lost or bored, so I found this to be a good way to make sure I am meeting their needs.
**Make it Their Own-**It never fails, as soon as my students build their first build (usually the Autopilot), they want to change it. So, whenever I give a challenge, whether it’s a tug or war, tractor pull, or egg race, I let them make changes to their build. It may just be a couple colored pieces swapped out on the build or a whole new section designed by the group. It gives them ownership and builds some excitement during competitions. It also promotes the Engineering Design Process, as students iterate improvements and test out their creations.
Challenges and Competitions-The worst thing to hear when spending hours preparing for camp is “I don’t want to do that”. So I present 3-4 challenges for the campers to complete at their own pace and choice. I post the challenges on a board, and as the students complete them, they can add their names to the Challenge Board. Each completion earns them a treat (robotic themed stickers, candy, etc.). That also gives me time to work with the students that need help, while the advanced students can keep working through other challenges. They love to post their names and candy is always a great motivator for all grade levels.
End with “Big Fun!” -With other events, students bring home artwork, cookies, or other creations. I frequently get asked by parents if there is something they can see on the last day of a camp or tech week, like a performance. That has led me to end the camps with Battlebots! The parents can come and watch the fun and all the students end the camp excited. While the students are breaking down their last build, I present them with a certificate and some candy awards.

3 Likes

That is some great advice. Thank you @LORI_COLANGELO very much

1 Like

Thank you for sharing! I love the focus on student voice and choice here - particularly in a camp setting, this is so important to keep kids engaged and motivated.

1 Like

Looking for some themes for my summer camps this year. Already did space and Olympics. Any ideas?

1 Like

There are a bunch of camp resources at camps.vex.com to get your creative juices flowing! Also, I’m sure @Alaina_Caulkett has oodles of ideas :slight_smile:

I think space and Olympics are great starting points!

Other ideas that might be fun to work with:

• Arcade (creating arcade games or designing robots to play arcade games)
  • Inventions (talk about historic inventions and recreate them using the robots or elements of them like creating an assembly line with IQ pieces for the Model T and then trying to redesign the BaseBot/Autopilot to look more like a Model T car)
  • Competition week! Take the new VIQC/VRC game or a previous one and spend the week trying to design a robot for a class competition at the end of the week. This could also work really well with the Competition STEM Labs at education.vex.com
  • Mini Golf Course! Create mechanisms to work as elements of mini golf obstacles and then have students drive a robot through the course pushing a golf ball (also would need to design passive manipulators to push the golf ball)

I love all of those! Thanks so much!

1 Like