Cross-Curricular Examples with Robotics

Involving robotics into all lessons in every grade and every subject is a big opportunity for our students and a topic that I often hear come up.
I would love to hear some examples of Cross-Curricular activities across any of the VEX Platforms to share ideas with our Community.

1 Like

This is one of my favorite topics to talk about @Nicole_Champagne! There are a number of different ways to make this happen - and I’ll be talking a lot about this and showing some examples of cross-curricular projects in the Bring STEM to Life Live Session on April 20th :slight_smile:

In the meantime, here are some examples that come to mind right away for me-

• Practicing reading comprehension by creating a character from a story on your robot, and coding it to drive to plot points in the story in the order in which they happened. @Laura_Mackay and @Jennifer_Spencer have shared projects like these at workshops, and they’re awesome!

• Using math to calculate the distance/angle that your robot needs to drive/turn - this will be the focus of the Math and Robotics Live Session happening tonight (4/12)! Tune in to see @Lauren_Harter explain how to use robotics to make real world math connections.

• Using VEXcode VR to connect to science and history with an activity like Constellation Creator where students create their own constellation and the story behind it, then code the VR Robot to draw it using the Art Canvas + Playground.

I could go on for a looooong time on this topic, but I’ll stop there just to get the ball rolling :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@Nicole_Champagne This is my absolute favorite part of teaching with VEX GO. I try to incorporate as many cross-curricular lessons as I can, and am always looking for more ideas! Here are a few I’ve done this year:

1. For Halloween students created spooky creature builds. I put a colorful Spooky House on the Promethean Board and had them write narrative stories explaining how their creature got there and the adventures they had at the house.

2. During our plant unit in Science, as an informal assessment, I had students build a plant with all of the correct parts we studied (flower, stem, leaves, roots). To give it an extra challenge, the build had to be free standing.

3. I co-taught a music lesson with the music teacher during the recorder unit. After learning a few notes they chose a vex go piece to represent each note. They laid out the pieces in a row to represent the music notes and then played the tune on their recorder.

4. During Black History Month our librarian had students research a STEM inventor to create a Google Slide presentation. Taking it a step further I had them create a build to look like the inventor, or the invention.

5. Most recently in ELA we read a variety of expository text that compared and contrasted different animals. I had students choose 2 animals to research. They created a Venn Diagram to compare and contrast the animals, then created builds of the animals.

6. I continued the compare/contrast skill by showing students a video of the Mars Rover Perseverance while completing the Stem Lab. Students then created a Venn Diagram to compare their Code Base to Perseverance.

3 Likes

These are great ideas! Thanks for sharing.

All these examples are a great share. We can tap into your Live Session Community Thread after to keep chatting.