"Do you use the 'F word' with your students?"

At VEX Worlds, I had the privilege of chatting with @Bob_Mimlitch, and was asked an intriguing question – "Do you use the ‘F word’ with your students? In other words, did you say the word ‘failure’? How do you talk about failure with your students?" This question has been percolating around my brain for weeks now, and I’m eager to pose it to the larger community.

To me, as with most things in the classroom, my immediate reaction was, ‘it depends.’ In my classroom, with young students, things like making mistakes, trying again, problem solving, and talking about how to make a situation better were as natural as saying good morning when you came in the door. Did I say that was a ‘failure’ or use that word? Probably not, but the concept was there. The idea that you could write a word incorrectly, we then figure out what was wrong, and you try again to write it more accurately - the iterative process of learning from a failed attempt at something was present in every moment of every day.

But Bob’s question made me think about the language that we’re using with students to talk about these things. The word ‘failure’ carries a lot of weight - it is, in many places, a ‘heavy’ word. Whereas ‘mistake’ or ‘try again’ or even just ‘wrong’ don’t have the same gravity, and appear to get the point across in perhaps a gentler way. And with young children, the gentler approach makes sense, right? We want to frame learning, and the process of learning, as something supportive, to hopefully incite a love for that process. But as students get older, the language we use changes - and what was once simply a ‘mistake’ can become a ‘failure’, and just be a more grownup way of explaining iteration and learning. However, often ‘failure’ carries a much stronger connotation.

So, if we want to be able to use failures as opportunities to learn, how do we shape our language and classroom culture to support that? Does it come from changing the way we use the word failure? Or is the concept of learning from mistakes enough, regardless of the words we use to describe it?

John Dewey famously said, “Failure is instructive. The person who really thinks learns quite as much from his failures as from his successes.” And I’d dare say every teacher has seen this in action! So how do you make students (and parents) comfortable with this way of learning?

@Jason_McKenna, @Anna_Blake, @Omar_Cortez, @Mark_Johnston, @Michele_Pikunic, @Aimee_DeFoe - I’m tagging all of you (from across grade levels) to get the conversation ball rolling here :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@Audra_Selkowitz thank you for a great post and leading question. This has really got me thinking as I am currently teaching four different classroom year levels as well as competition teams. Whilst the concept of failure is there, when working through the engineering design process we teach that it is a process, its not linear, that we need to test and make improvements and test again and document. One quote that I always share with my young inventors and creators is “I have not failed. I have just found 10,000 ways that won’t work - Thomas A Edison”. By flipping our language and thinking about failure as a way to improve enables discussion and reflection to occur in a safe, supportive learning environment for all ages.

Looking forward to hearing the thoughts of others in our community.

2 Likes

I love that quote @Michele_Pikunic! And it’s exactly language like that, that made this question so intriguing to me :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Michele_Pikunic Your words about the engineering design process not being linear reminded me of the fact that actual learning itself isn’t linear! And, in school it is so often presented as if it is - do these chapters of a unit in a textbook, in order, take a test and there you go, you learned something! It doesn’t have to be this way, though, and teaching with the edp is a great strategy for countering this unfortunately deeply ingrained idea about learning.

When I was teaching elementary students, I always made sure to have a continual dialogue with my students about what learning is and how it actually happens. I often used books about characters who faced and overcame challenges as a catalyst for starting conversations about learning from setbacks. I looked for evidence of perseverance in my students and made sure to recognize them when I saw them demonstrating it. I also tried to model this disposition by deliberately coming up with scenarios where they could see me mess up, evaluate why, make a plan to fix it, and try again. I’m sure I used the word “failure” during the course of these endeavors, but never as a negative term. I think it is how you frame it that truly matters!

1 Like

Thanks @Aimee_DeFoe, absolutely agree with your thinking and truly believe that failure is an important part of the learning process. When positively framed as part of the learning process, our students through discussion, reflection will develop a shared understanding and see failure as an opportunity - to change, to improve, to decide, to problem-solve. I can also recommend two new books that I have recently introduced into my STEM classroom library. They are rhyming texts that students across year levels enjoy - The Wonders of Never Giving Up and The Greatest Mistakes that went Right both by Maddy Marra and Cheryl Orsini.

I’m thinking out loud now but it would be great if we could we introduce this concept by a book similar to the one created by VEX Robotics to introduce VEX GO that could feature Astronaut Jo!

2 Likes

@Michele_Pikunic I absolutely LOVE the idea of creating a ‘learning through failure’ book! What a fantastic idea!

I LOVE that idea as well! I’ll add it to my growing list of stories to write :slight_smile: Speaking of books that frame this positively - The Most Magnificent Thing by Ashley Spires was always a favorite children’s book in my classroom. In looking for the author, I came across this article 7 Books to Inspire Young Inventors, from Scholastic, that could be a good resource for this framing as well.

2 Likes