Easter/Spring break

Hi!

With Easter and Spring break quickly approaching, I was looking for fun activities that my students can do with Vex! I was thinking something along the lines of plastic Easter eggs and the students can either code/drive to the eggs and try to “put” them into a basket?? What are your thoughts and ideas? @Tina_Dietrich @Desiree_White-Price

2 Likes

That sounds like a fun idea @Danielle_McCoy! You could also do something like an ‘egg on a spoon’ race with the robots – I’m picturing a sort of ‘robot relay race’ with eggs :). Groups would team up to create ‘egg carriers’ on each of the robots on a team. Then they code the robots to safely drive the egg from one side of a Field to the other, where it gets transferred to the next robot on the team, etc. until all of the robots have gone. The first team to get to the finish without dropping the egg, wins!

I also remember this being the season of ‘coloring contests’ when I was a kid – you could do something inspired by that with the VR Art Canvas +. Here’s a quick example I threw together of an egg design that students could code the VR Robot to decorate the egg however they choose.

Here’s the sample slide image I used there - you can make a copy of it and adapt it however you need to. Just download the slide as a .PNG image and upload it to the Art Canvas +.

Hope these ideas are helpful! I can’t wait to see what you do :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Danielle_McCoy We have introduced our students to VEXcode 123. Today they are going to practice coding a bunny. Wish us luck.

2 Likes

@Danielle_McCoy @Desiree_White-Price @Audra_Selkowitz My class just finished building the spirograph. They will experiment with the different motors and configurations to see what different types of designs they can create. They will then take those designs and create a spring picture/scene with them.

We also recently completed the Mars Rover Collect and Bury Mission. I was going to have them code their robot to drive and collect a variety of eggs. After bringing them back to the base, instead of “burying” them they will open the egg, then solve the math problem they find inside.

3 Likes

I love that @Tina_Dietrich!

@Danielle_McCoy I was also thinking that you could do a literal egg and spoon race - only instead of a spoon, you give students certain pieces from the GO Kits, and then they have to use those pieces to construct something to hold the egg as they participate in the relay race. You could add whatever constraints you want - like it has to have a handle, your hand can’t be touching the egg while you race, etc. Could be a fun and creative free build challenge :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Those are all great ideas!! I went with holding egg races with their code bases and practicing coding/coloring an egg in Art Canvas+! (I attached some of the code here as well)

2 Likes

That’s awesome!!! The engagement on the kids’ faces is fantastic :slight_smile: Hopefully you didn’t end up with too many broken eggs!

1 Like