Engineering Notebooks

Hey all. I’m just following curriculum for Vex IQ for two classes (7th and 8th). I know there are printable files for google and have been in those but does anyone have a printable file of a full notebook. I’m talking a fully laid out notebook from front to back. Again, I have the templates in google but it’s just a copy of each page. I don’t know how to organize those pages, which pages I need duplicates of or how many of each page.

Thanks in advance.

Hi, I don’t but I am intrigued about the printable files for google. Could you direct me to where to look for those? I have been making my own (like this one -
CUBE COLLECTOR PRACTICE recording sheet.pdf (38.1 KB)
so that hopefully by next year, I can create a fully laid out notebook like you are envisioning.

Hey Lauren. Here is the link. It’s the google slide file. You can print them out of there.

Hi @Barry_Carter_II! As far as a notebook printable goes, I know you can print a student digital notebook, or print out pages from the template, but we don’t have a PDF already generated of a blank notebook.

We also have a lot of notebook information at notebooks.vex.com :slight_smile:

Let me know if this helps!

Hi Barry. The exact layout would depend on the content that is included by that particular student, so they would add the relevant pages as they go. There is no correct combination of pages.

For example, some students might prefer a different drawing scale to others so might select the “Third Scale” page using Third Scale parts to illustrate a complete robot, but might use the full scale page to illustrate part of a mechanism. Not everyone would follow the same format.

However, for your use you might like to make a specific combination of pages for the students to use.

Hi Barry,

I am intrigued by this idea. A printable version would need to account for handwriting, so the digital notebooks we have now are not perfect.

I just talked to the graphics department and they said they will have an IQ printable version ready by sometime next week. They will adapt the physical VEX IQ Competition Notebook to classroom use and make it printable. Would you be willing to beta test it for us and provide feedback?

To handle notebook page count, we will make multiple versions that have different numbers of main pages (10, 20, 30…) to accommodate various project durations.

I would love to test it out. Please note this is my first year so I don’t have really any experience with note booking.

Barry, here are the prototype engineering notebooks for IQ.

• There are two sizes
  • These can be stapled or three hole punched
  • These can be printed single sided or double sided
  • If printed single sided, flip the last page so the ruler is on the back for easy access
  • These can be printed in color or black and white

Let me know what you think. Changes are easy.

Printable IQ Classroom Notebook 12p_Rev1.pdf (967.1 KB)
Printable IQ Classroom Notebook 20p_Rev1.pdf (980.9 KB)

These have been great. Our printer prints them in a magazine format and staples them. We have been using them for each Unit then they turn them in to be graded. I.e. all lessons in Tug-of-war in one. I’m sure you could add more pages to make a year long notebook.

One suggestion. Make a version with no page numbers so if we want to we can duplicate the graph pages as much as possible. Right now if you duplicate a page to make it bigger, you’ll be duplicating the page number.

Keep the versions with page numbers and make a version without.

Love it. I’m working on adding a parts guide (parts poster broken down) inside it too. That way they have a reference to all the pieces. I’m basically going to “snip” each section off the interactive parts poster and copy them to a page.

Thanks for all the help!!!

1 Like

Glad to hear things are working well @Barry_Carter_II Thanks!