How is YOUR nano doing on Planet HEXBUG?

Happy CS Education Week everybody! I’ve had a blast exploring Planet HEXBUG, and I’m so curious about how teachers and students are strategizing to make the most of their nano’s experience. I find myself focusing on finding food and fending off enemies when under attack (I’m not seeking out many enemies on purpose).

How are you and your students approaching the game? Are you using a more offensive strategy or defensive strategy? Or are you being a ‘pacifist’ and avoiding enemies altogether in favor of eating as much as possible?

I know I’ve had several A Ha! moments as I’ve been coding - I’d love to learn about yours too!

2 Likes

So far my projects have actually been pretty opposite what you describe! There are so many strategies that could impact how you approach the game. For me, my goal is to level up as soon as I can and enemies are the easiest way to get that XP early on. My projects focus on seeing and attacking enemies.

I think it could be a great implementation to have different groups of students with various strategies and then having those groups compare their projects to one another. They could really see how there are so many different ways to accomplish the same goal in their code.

Oh wow, that’s really neat to hear Alaina! Planet HEXBUG can also be a great way to incorporate students’ interests in video games into their school coding in a fun way. I am not much of a video-gamer myself, so maybe that is factoring into my strategy of only fighting back, not seeking out enemies.

@Mark_Johnston you said you and your students have been loving this - what have you found in terms of strategies and approaches?

Speaking of strategies, there’s this new article out about different gameplay strategies in Planet HEXBUG! https://kb.vex.com/hc/en-us/articles/4412864361748-Gameplay-Strategies-in-Planet-HEXBUG

This hibernation looks like a great way to really maximize your battery life while also not needing to take ages watching your VR nano slowly move around and drain its battery before eating.