Incorporate more math concepts into your Touch button coding

As an early elementary teacher, I was always looking for simple ways to insert more math practices into the day without it being obvious ‘math time’. Coding the 123 Robot with Touch buttons offers a great opportunity to add some additional math practice into breaking down a project.

Students would first need to document their project in some way, to be able to tally the button presses. The fill-in Touch button printable would be perfect for this. Then, using that information, they could count, calculate, and graph various features of their project using a sheet like this:

Here’s an example, using a project to drive to 2 places on the Field, then ‘celebrate’.

I made the first sheet using the printable linked above (just added extra space to save paper), then made the other sheet myself using Google slides. Here’s a link in case you’d like to make a copy and try it yourself :slight_smile:

It could be a great lesson extension, or differentiation tool for groups that are ‘finished early’ or when you have just a little bit of time at the end of class to fill - you could complete it as a whole group activity, or individually. @Desiree_White-Price and @Laura_Mackay I wonder if these might come in handy in your classrooms.

@Audra_Selkowitz That is so funny you posted this. We are going to do Simon Says to get the students to start coding more than one straight movement at a time. I was going to have them color the sheet in first and then go and code it all at one time.

That sounds great! Feel free to share photos or a video if you can to let us know how it goes! :slight_smile:

@Audra_Selkowitz I showed this form to my GO teachers, is there something similar to this sheet for GO students?

1 Like

@Desiree_White-Price Here is a worksheet for GO! It is a Google Slide, so your teachers can make a copy and edit it if they need to! This would be for use with any project where they are using the Code Base Robot on the Field.

@Aimee_DeFoe Thank you so much, they are going to love this.

1 Like

Love this!! I will be trying this out next week and will post how it goes!