Learning and the Brain Conference - NYC

This weekend, I had the pleasure of attending the Learning and the Brain Conference. It was located in the Sheraton Hotel in NYC.

From the website:

This conference will explore the science behind, and strategies for, building knowledge, critical thinking, and expertise. Discover how to hone students’ reasoning skills; teach critical and complex thinking; improve reading and media literacy; develop metacognition, executive, math, and problem-solving skills; and gain knowledge about the important role of emotions, embodied cognition, and hand gestures for improving learning, memory, and thinking.

The conference was amazing. Lots to take away and think about further. The first lecture I attended was from Ronald Ritchie, Senior Research Associate, Harvard Project Zero, Harvard Graduate School of Education.

Main takeaway: Document to tell the story of learning - really good. Learning journey is punctuated by questions, evolving questions. New questions.

I always think about how this relates to the Eng Design Notebook. I get frustrated when I see students/teams just talk about procedural items (Do I need to write in pen?) and not discussing the documentation of learning.

Next, I saw a presentation from Cog Scientist from the Univ of Iowa.

She was all about embodied learning/cognition. For example, did you know that blind people still talk with their hands? I thought this was fascinating. Her presentation was all about the role of gestures (hands, body) in communication. I’m not sure what the practical application is, but I think there is something there about the importance of hands-on learning for our youngest students, and how it also helps literacy.

The “big name” at the conference was Steven Pinker.

He has a new book out on rationality. As you would expect, he gave an excellent presentation. I bought his book (I bought a lot of books). Of course, the highlight for me was:

My good friend, Dan Willingham. I say good friend because I got to meet and chat with him. We are besties now. Yes, his presentations were brilliant. He talked about the science of reading and the science behind motivation. Great stuff.

What may have been my favorite lecture was from Mary Helen Immordino-Yang, EdD, Director, USC Center for Affective Neuroscience, Development, Learning, and Education (CANDLE). What is affective neuroscience? Great question. Affective neuroscience aims to understand how matter (brain structures and chemicals) creates one of the most fascinating aspects of mind, the emotions. And then, how emotions impact our learning. Check out this quote:

Educational theories pay attention to procedural learning but not episodic - experience, feeling, making meaning. Procedural learning in the service of what? We should be emphasizing learning In the service of the story of the child building who they are

That is a quote that will be rattling inside of my brain for the next few weeks.

All in all, as I mentioned, great conference. If you have any questions, feel free to post them below.

4 Likes

This sounds like an INCREDIBLE conference! The concept of ‘affective neuroscience’ is really interesting. We bring our emotions (for better or worse) to every single thing we do, including learning and interacting at school - understanding how children are making sense of their world has to include how they are emotionally processing their world as well.

I’d be really interested to know what books you came back with - can you share a photo?

2 Likes

I LOVE this kind of summary. I judged engineering notebooks at a VRC competition pre-pandemic, and so many students and even other judges were giving undue importance to the neatness of the notebook. While neatness is good for being able to read the thoughts, it certainly is not the most important thing. My favorite notebooks had questions written all over. “Here is a strategy we tried” is great, but then what next? All of these trials should produce more questions and more inquiry. The idea of these questions driving the story is just fantastic, and I would love to see that framing in more classrooms and competition teams.

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing this @Jason_McKenna! I enjoy learning more about making thinking visible at my Agency by Design Pittsburgh meetings. In this collective, stemming from Project Zero research, educators from all over Pittsburgh come together to visit different schools and find learning in the wild. Through questioning, and using thinking routines, I find myself learning something new every time I attend one of these site meetings once a month. I highly suggest looking into thinking routines here: What Makes You Say That? | Project Zero

I also suggest checking out the Pittsburgh Agency by Design website here: https://www.agencybydesignpgh.com

I really also enjoyed the quote on emotions and how they play a part in education. I always loved neuroscience in college - I find it’s fascinating.

Did you learn anything more about spacial reasoning pertaining to neuroscience @Jason_McKenna ?

1 Like

Ok - I also got asked in class today to share books. Here you go:

The first one was from the first keynote I attended. The other two were being sold at the conference and looked interesting. I’ve started Fear is the Mind Killer. So far, it is very good.

The other two I had to get via Amazon:

Had to get the Pinker book.

61FYqtg9kfL.SX329_BO1,204,203,200

This is from the lecture I’ve been talking about on affective neuroscience. The cover is actually a painting that the author worked on with an artist: it represents the brain and emotions. If interested, let me know and I’ll go back and watch the recording and get more details about the painting.

1 Like

@Jason_McKenna I love the Learning and the Brain Conference - I’ve been a couple of times and I gotta admit, I’m a little jealous! Once when I went the focus was on teaching neurodiverse students and it had a huge impact on my teaching moving forward. Thanks for sharing the details and all the books as well.

2 Likes

Thank you @Jason_McKenna for sharing the books and telling us all about the conference at the PD+ Live VEX GO Zoom last night. I’m adding these books to my Amazon wishlist! We are all life-long learners!

1 Like