Literacy and Robotics with VEX 123 and GO?

I think there is a huge potential for crossover lessons and activities that blend literacy with VEX 123 and VEX GO. Here are some ideas off the top of my head…I’m curious to see what others have of as well in this area.

• Building a scene from a novel with VEX GO, and incorporating moving elements, as part of a culminating project.
  • Using the 123 Robot to act out different stories and books that students have read - you could use this as a reading comprehension exercise, to see if students can retell what they have read.
  • Having students write their own stories, and creating a character from them with VEX GO.
  • Practicing sequencing of plot points, by making your robot drive to them in order.
  • Practicing expository writing by having students write about their VEX GO builds and how they are used.

What are some other ideas that you would like to try with your students? @Aimee_DeFoe I know you have some experience in this area, any ideas to add?

1 Like

Absolutely! What about creating a tour of a story’s setting using VEX GO or 123, or making a story-themed board game using the field tiles as a base and adding in some artistic elements? I think the board game could be a great reading comprehension assessment, and could be a fun group project as well. I was also thinking that one way to get inspiration for ideas in this area would be to look through the GO and 123 Activities and see what ideas for adaptation they inspire for you!

2 Likes