Mixed Age Group Learning with VEX GO

In my Kindergarten classroom, “Buddy Reading” was always a wonderful, and much anticipated recurring ‘event’ for my students. An older class, like 3rd, 4th or 5th grade, would choose books from the school library, and come read to my students in small groups. I think VEX GO (and even 123) could lend themselves really well to having a similar ‘event’, but with Buddy Robots!

It could be a great culmination to a STEM Lab Unit or Activity Series - where the older student groups would share their projects with their younger ‘buddies’. And VEX GO is so accessible, that the younger students could potentially help code the robots as well - so you could have that additional layer of engagement, where both buddies are actively participating.

Picture this, but with a Code Base instead of a book!
Screen Shot 2021-07-16 at 11.20.45 AM

3 Likes

I love that idea! I think it would work really well in reverse, too! Have the younger students create VEX 123 projects and present them to older students. I can just imagine the pride Kindergarteners would feel in sharing with the big fourth graders! It gives the older students a chance to practice listening to and communicating with those younger than themselves as well!

3 Likes

@Audra_Selkowitz I really like this idea. I think this would work well for my 3rd graders learning from my 5th graders. We are a 3-5 building. I like the idea of teaching and learning from each other. I find that students in my class doing this already by helping and mentoring other peers during a STEM lab. I love seeing the helping!

1 Like