New 3-Wire Digital In/Digital Out Devices support in VEXcode V5

Check out this new article that @David_Kelly wrote on using 3-Wire Digital In and Digital Out devices!
Screen Shot 2021-06-28 at 1.27.15 PM

I think this is super helpful for anyone who has not used them before. Thanks David!

2 Likes

I had a lot of help from @Tim_Friez - THANKS!

1 Like

“One use of the Digital In device would be for Digital In/Digital Out communication between two V5 Robot Brains.”

This is very cool!

I was wondering, can the port be used to power LED’s? If so, what is the voltage? Would it overpower a red LED?

1 Like

Hi @Mark_Johnston, great question! Yes! The port can be used for LEDs. The signal pin puts out 0 or 5V, however it does not put out much power. I would only recommend using the ones from VEX’s website, just because that voltage is more controlled as opposed to a third party. There is actually an example project in VEXcode V5 to get up and running with that!
Screen Shot 2021-07-16 at 10.25.45 AM

If you want to use LED’s with your V5 brain, you can get them from VEX here. It is very easy to set them up in devices and then used them.

I didn’t have any VEX LEDs laying around but I wanted to play around with the LED stuff anyway so…

(WARNING: ATTEMPT THE FOLLOWING AT YOUR OWN RISK)

I finally found my little bag of LED’s I use for my Arduino projects. I decided to try them out on the V5 brain. Based on the article in this thread, I could see where the 5v would come from and surmise that the anode (+) should go there and that the cathode (-) should be plugged into the “control”.

In “devices”, I setup the port I used for the LED as “3-wire > LED”.

I ran a loop to turn the led on for a second then off for a second. It works like a charm.

I am using LEDs very similar to these:
Amazon link to LEDs

Make sure your LED’s can handle 5V or else you’ll need to add a resistor.

Screen Shot 2021-07-26 at 9.09.26 PM