New Generation Buying/Selling Points

Hello Everyone,

I am in the market (or at least trying to be) to purchase new robots. I have had the same first generation robots for 6 years now and need replacements due to a lot of wear and tear. I have class sizes range from 12-28 students that rotate multiple times throughout the year.

1. I am asking for guidance as far as how many should I request to purchase to accommodate the range of students?

2.The brain ports are my #1 breaking issue with my current robots. I see they are out of stock- is this forever? Do the new gen have the same kind of port or has this been changed?

Any opinion and insight would be helpful and appreciated. Thanks so much!

1 Like

Hi Bonnie!

The STEM Labs recommend three students per kit so that would be a good number to base your purchase on.

The second generation brains have a USB-C port rather than Micro USB. Same goes for the controllers. With USB-C, there is no “orientation” as such, it goes in either way up.

You can learn more about the benefits of the 2nd Generation kits here:
https://www.vexrobotics.com/iq/products/iq-faq

3 Likes

Hi Bonnie,
For your class sizes, you may want to purchase the Large Class Bundle (link to product page here). This will give you more flexibility as you work with your students, including having more fields for students to run and test their code projects with their robots. Plus, it will allow for smaller group sizes - if that is something that works well in your classroom.

In addition to all the new labs that have been developed for the IQ (2nd gen) Kits, you will still be able to implement 1st gen STEM Labs with the new kits. Check out this article with resources to help you adapt (1st gen) STEM Labs for use with the (2nd gen) Kits!

Please feel free to reach out if you have any additional questions!