NEW Robotics Teacher/Course HELP!

I am a NEW teacher to robotics and was told that I will be teaching a year long robotics course next year. I purchased 12 EXP kits for my 25 students. I am a little overwhelmed with where to start with all the resources (so happy to have actual resources though).

I found VEX Curriculum Pacing Guide, but I am confused where to start. My students will have NO experience with robotics or programming.

Should I start with the “V5 STEM Labs and EXP STEM Lab Units” or somewhere else? Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

In addition to where to start, does anyone have a detailed pacing guide? Warmups/documentation/worksheets/engineering notebook/ etc? I do not have to recreate the wheel as this will be my 5th prep so I am a bit overwhelmed.

Sara

2 Likes

Hi Sara!

First of all, welcome to the Community and to teaching robotics! There’s a lot of materials out there, but I recommend starting by going to teachEXP.vex.com. You’ll see a video that walks you through what resources are on the page and where to start.

For your students and getting started, I would recommend using one of the 9 week scope and sequences on that page. It walks you through what parts of STEM Labs or what activities to do with your students so you can all get started together.

Since you are new to teaching with robotics and new to EXP, I would also recommend taking the Introduction to VEX EXP Training Course! This will walk you through everything you need to know to build a robot, do some introductory coding, and learn how to use the different pieces of the VEX EXP Kit.

Hope this helps get you started! I know @Erin_Lowery
and @Omar_Cortez also teach with EXP, so they might have some good recommendations for pacing guides also.

Alaina

2 Likes

Thank you for your quick reply. I have watched your videos. I was thinking about using the scope and sequence for “V5 + EXP STEM lab.” Would this be a great way to start? I am teaching high school on a A/B block schedule.

1 Like

I think using that V5 + EXP STEM Labs would work well to fill up an entire year. Just be aware that you will need to make some modifications to the V5 STEM Labs to use EXP. But all of those modifications are outlined in this article.

1 Like

Hi there! I am at the conference and had the same question. Take a look at this site then click on scope and sequence. Teachv5.vex.com. Also take a look at the live courses in the PD+. Kim Wood SCUCISD

1 Like

Try teachv5.vex.com sorry I have the IQ

1 Like