New Year

To celebrate the New Year, I wrote 2023 on the boards and had students code their robots to the New Year. We will do this often as it is hard for 1st graders to remember the year has changed.

What are some other New Year ideas you have?

2 Likes

Oh wow - great activity! I love that for 1st grade

That’s a great idea! I think it could also be fun to code the 123 Robot to act as the ‘ball’ dropping to the new year too. Like start the robot at the top of a long Field, and have it drive down to count down each second from 10 to 0, and end on the 2023. You could even use the ‘Glow’ commands to have it flash colors like the real ball drop!

This could be a neat way to introduce loops too - you’d want it to do the same behaviors for each ‘second’ of the drop - like Drive 1, flash 3 colors, play a sound. But you won’t fit all of that in the Coder for all 10 seconds unless you use the ‘Go to start’ card, and make a loop.

Just a thought @Desiree_White-Price in case that’s helpful!

3 Likes

We are going to give it a try. I love that idea.

I love these ideas! I’m starting VEX 123 with my kindergarteners and I agree that this a fun way to allow students to get to know VEX 123. I love the storybook. My goal this year is to implement more stories that the students read into my VEX 123 time with my students. I think more connections will ELA is so powerful in my EdTech classroom. What other connections have you made with your VEX 123 @Desiree_White-Price - any stories that kiddos love?

@Anna_Blake This week we are going to read the story Sneezy the Snowman. I am thinking of having students code a snowman. I am still working on that. If not I will have the students code to retell the story. I will cut out pictures from the story and put them on a title. I am going to let my creative juices flow to come up with another project. Let me know what your thoughts are…

@Anna_Blake Here is a picture of the board. I made the board bigger this time to challenge my students to program many steps at a time. The students had to start at the snowman. Each student in the group coded the robot to the next item Sneezy received. They really enjoyed this activity.