Orchids and Dandelions

I recently read this article from Education Next, and it really got me to thinking… The article talks about a relatively recent research that could links genetic variations to how we learn.

At it’s core, the orchid vs. dandelion conversations centers around this idea:

"Dandelions are remarkable organisms. They somehow survive in almost any ecological niche, not by being incredibly hardy but by altering their biochemistry on the fly. Their defining characteristic is adaptivity.

Orchids, not so much. They do badly in most environments, but, in certain conditions, they bloom spectacularly.

Most children are like dandelions, explains van IJzendoorn (the ‘J’ is silent: ee-zen-dorn). They grow to function surprisingly well regardless of their environment. But other children have a harder time. They are prone to tantrums and oppositional behavior, say, or they are constantly distracted. Van IJzendoorn likens them to orchids. They do badly in most environments. But with the right structure, the right support, they do well. In fact, in those circumstances, they do better than the dandelions."

The article explains this concept in greater detail, and anecdotally, there are so many children that this idea brings to my mind, that I taught and interacted with over my teaching career. Reading immediately made me think of all the ‘orchids’ I experienced, and think back fondly, (and not necessarily as fondly) to those children.

Van Ijzendoorn’s research has found genetic links to these two ‘types’, for lack of a better word, and the article posits what this could mean in terms of educational implications. Essentially, the question is if we could know which children in our class were ‘orchids’ and which were ‘dandelions’ – how could we reshape our teaching to best reach every student?

While the idea of having genetic information about our students in school is not necessarily feasible, and is, frankly, a little scary – I’m left with the question of even if we did have this information, what would it mean? Could we actually reshape our teaching, and our school culture and organization as a whole to go in line with this idea? Or would this just become more information that, while good to have, only really gets implemented by a handful of master teachers?

This has been floating around my head for a few weeks now, and I would love to hear what others think on this subject. What do you think of the concept of orchids and dandelions? And how would knowing that information about your students influence your teaching practices in reality?

1 Like

This was a great article. I wonder how many of our students are actual Dandelions? In Harry Potter, there were Obscurials - young witches or wizards who suppressed their magic because the magic powers scared them. The suppressed magical force would eventually become parasitic and cause great harm. My fear is that many of our students, the dandelions, are not adapting but are instead suppressing.

1 Like

Whoa @Jason_McKenna, what a fantastic connection, and a great question! It makes me think that this whole idea comes back to knowing your students, and having relationship-based teaching practices. Sure genetic data might be helpful, but if we want to prevent suppression, and support all students thriving, taking the time and energy to get to know your students can make a huge difference. I’m sure we can all think of students that we knew well enough to know when they were ‘off’ in some way – I feel like that could help in preventing the suppressing that could go on.

The other side of that of course, is having a classroom culture where students feel comfortable being themselves, being vulnerable, and are valued for their whole selves (mistakes and all). Just having an inkling that something is awry isn’t enough, if you don’t then have the kind of space where you can do something about it, it becomes a moot point.

I’ve been thinking about this article quite a bit, as the parent of a couple of orchids and the teacher of many. It is absolutely true that having solid relationships with teachers is essential for any student who learns in a way outside of the status quo. Classroom culture is also key. We also desperately need to find a way to look at the way time is spent at school differently - many of our orchids need more time and more practice to develop their strengths. Many thrive in a project-based environment as well, where they feel like what they are working on has meaning and purpose. Supporting our educators so that they can make these kinds of transformational changes can prevent the waste of human potential that occurs when our orchids are marginalized, and it will benefit our dandelions as well.

YES - agree with this 100%