Playing "Telephone" with VEX GO!

Recently, @Audra_Selkowitz and I taught a fun PD+ Class all about using VEX GO and 123 in your regular classroom settings. We had so many great conversations that sparked fun ideas during the course of prepping for and teaching that class! One of the great ideas that came about was to play “Telephone” using VEX GO pieces. So, instead of passing a phrase around the circle to see how it comes out in the end, in this activity you are passing an object around the circle and adding pieces from the VEX GO kit to see how it comes out in the end! It could be a great morning meeting or closing circle game, or a fun way to explore a little bit of free building in a very low stakes and silly way!

Here’s a link to the activity!

If you try this out in your classroom, let us know how it goes! We had lots of other ideas for turning classic morning meeting games into 123 and GO activities, which we can add on to this thread over time. And, if you have any ideas of your own to share, please do!

4 Likes

I think this activity would be a great way to help students think creatively about the pieces in the Kit. And as the build changes so much and so frequently, I think it could be a useful game for those students who tend to have a strong hold on one idea and who may struggle to iterate or compromise on a free build. @Anna_Blake and @Laura_Mackay I wonder if your settings might be good to test this one out :slight_smile:

We do need good morning meeting ideas to keep students engaged. Love this activity! We will have to try it out! @Heidi_Danner

@Aimee_DeFoe & @Audra_Selkowitz We did this at our Elementary campus with a 1st grade class and a 3rd grade class during morning meeting. It tied in with our word of the week which was cooperation. We talked about what it means to work as a group and be a good group member and how we not only can be positive with words but also with our body language. We gave them each two pieces and two connectors and had them work as a group to create a rocket ship while being respectful and not commenting as others were adding their pieces on as the build came around the circle. What was amazing to me as a facilitator was that some groups without talking put on one piece and made two laps around the circle while others put on both pieces at once. There were also students who choose to put one piece on but not the second one and at the end shared out that they felt like for the good of the group and the build that piece wasn’t needed. Afterwards, the students shared one contribution to the design that they liked from someone else. The teachers felt like it was valuable and was a good low stakes visual representation of being a good group member and giving others space to think and work without controlling your partner. The students also talked about some challenges with the build such as time and being able to collaborate which was good for them to see the importance of working together. They also said that they felt like it could be a good way to also talk about Respect as a class and how you continued to build while respecting others ideas without taking it apart. Thank you for such a great activity! They turned out very wonky but it was really fun!

2 Likes

@Heidi_Danner I COULD NOT LOVE THIS MORE! I’m thrilled it worked out so well and I love the cooperative rocket ships. Thank you so much for sharing this!

WOW WOW WOW! @Heidi_Danner this is amazing! I feel like it’s also one of those things that you could return to whenever you felt like you needed little gentle reminders about respectful collaboration :). Amazing!

Wow - great application here @Heidi_Danner Wonderful

@Aimee_DeFoe I love this idea! I cant wait to try it. I think this will be a good activity to use to get the kids back into the Vex mindset coming back from Winter Break.

Fantastic! Let me know how they like it!

Thank you for sharing this activity! I think my 3rd graders will love this!

1 Like