Printable buttons in action!

I’ve had an opportunity to teach with VEX 123 in a 1st and 2nd grade classes in the last couple of weeks, and it has been wonderful! I thought I’d share some neat little things that we did with the printable buttons that seemed to work really well for the kids.

Recall the button functions together - A week after introducing 123, we started our 2nd class together by remembering things about the robot. Then the class lined up opposite me, and I would hold up one of the large printable buttons, and they would have to do the behavior, and just as the robot would! So with the forward arrow, take 1 step forward; etc. It was a great way to incorporate some movement, and review the Touch buttons together.

Using the small printable buttons for project planning - After modeling how to use them in our whole group instruction, students worked through the Pathfinder Activity in their groups, and used the small buttons to help them plan their button presses. This was particularly handy when they had to erase their project to restart it, so they didn’t have to totally start from scratch.

Have you used the VEX 123 Printables with your students? What did you do? How did the students respond? @Anna_Blake , I know you’ve recently started working with 123 with your classes, any wisdom to share?

1 Like