Programming Challenge

Hello everyone! I have been kicking around an idea for a coding challenge using just an IQ brain and a couple of buttons.

Please take a look at what I have and feel free to use, modify, or make suggestions.

**Game (PBL INTRO)**

A toy company has some electronics they would like to utilize for a new handheld game. They have given you a prototype that you can use to create and code a prototype of the game. The prototype has an IQ brain and two LED touch buttons attached. You will need to come up with a compelling challenge along with clear rules. They would also like the game to be played in single player mode or two player mode.

Know/Need to Know:

• How to print instructions on the screen
    • How many characters and lines can be displayed?
  • Program flow to select 1/2 player mode
  • Human interaction with the buttons
  • Using lights to cue the player to some action
  • Keeping score/displaying score

Modifications/Suggestions:

• Can use either V5 or IQ
  • Game can be single player only
  • Game can rely solely on the brain without buttons
  • Incomplete code can be given to students to finish the project
  • Students can create a cardboard cutout to lay over the brain with instructions and graphics
  • Sounds can be used as a signal to the player

Here are some pictures of the sample game I came up with (I would put this level of work at a high school level but it is possible to make a game that is more simplistic):

Startup screen and main menu screen:

Single Player - Instructions and 5 rounds of play:

Here is what it looks like on the brain:

I plan on using a similar lesson to this with my v5 brains (and possibly my EXP stuff when I get it).

Let me know what you think and how you might improve on it.

3 Likes

Way cool! Don’t forget about 3-wire LED’s when trying the V5. Available here.

1 Like

This is terrific. @LORI_COLANGELO and @Bonnie_Sikorski check out this activity

1 Like

Very cool- will try this for sure!

1 Like

This is a great open-ended challenge, @Mark_Johnston! I’d love to see some of the games that your students come up with - please share!

This reminds me of “Think Fast” -an older IQ game

Think Fast!
Play a game where you build the Think Fast! Build and play a game that uses sensors. The Touch LED will light up either green or orange. If the light is green, the green player needs to press their sensor. If the light is orange, the orange player needs to press their sensor.

This will repeat until a player:

• Touches a sensor for the wrong color
  • Does not touch the sensor for their color quickly enough

When the game is over, the winning player will be displayed on the Brain display.

1 Like

I need something for next week, this will be great. We can do Christmas trivia!.

3 Likes

That’s a fantastic idea!! You could repurpose this to do quick quizzes in a fun way also, at any time during the year.

1 Like