Questions about VEX 123 fields

Do fields come with the kit? Can more be purchased? Can fields be connected to each other to make the area larger?

1 Like

First I bought myself a single kit without storage… that came with one field tile (which is needed for some builds).

Recently, I got a classroom kit. It came with 10 field tiles and the borders needed to make a field (forget the exact count).

They absolutely can be connected to each other. I don’t see them for sale individually anywhere on the site but…

They can be used with the IQ field (the only difference I can see is that the borders are smaller and the black line pattern is a little different). And you CAN buy those here - VEX IQ Challenge Field Perimeter & Tiles - VEX Robotics.

Hey Lori,
When you purchase just the 123 Kit, you can “add on” a Field for 24.99 USD, per Field.

123 Field Option on Product Page

The classroom bundles come with multiple Fields, depending on which size you choose. You can see the exact contents of the 123 Kit and Bundles on the product page here.

Check out this article, Get Started with your 123 Classroom Bundle that has some examples of different ways that you can set up the 123 Field with the materials that come in the Class Bundle.

123 Field are actually a little different to GO and IQ Fields. The latter share interchangeable parts but the 123 Field tiles are smaller. Here are the two next to each other for reference.
The size of the 123 robot means that whilst there is no reason why it couldn’t be used on GO and IQ tiles, it is much better suited to the smaller 123 Field tiles.

20210401_093113

Thank you for clarifying @Chris_Calver ! I was thinking GO/IQ and totally missed that this was about 123. I am still waiting on my 123 order… hope to get it soon. :slight_smile:

1 Like

One of the nicest things about the 123 fields is that each button press or drive forward 1 coder card corresponds with a square on a tile.

This is really nice from a coding perspective because it allows the students to decompose a project and then create behaviors. It is also very helpful from a math perspective as it helps very young students correspond a quantity with a number - the very beginning of building number sense. We do this frequently in the Number Line STEM Lab unit.

2 Likes