Running Wrong

HELP!! I have a few students whose BaseBot isn’t running correctly. One motor (right
side) is running faster than the other side. I have tried to clear out all program and reset brain to original state, I’ve changed ports, switched out motor and nothing is working.

Hi @Andi_Sutphen! There’s a few things I check when this happens. First, I check the hardware, then the software.

• Was the robot built correctly? I know this might seem silly, but sometimes just moving one of the wheels slightly out of place causes more resistance on one side of the drivetrain compared to the other, and the wheels spin at different rates.
  • What does the code look like? I can take a look to see.

Let me know if this helps :slight_smile:

Both wheels have the correct build and I have tried to clear out the program and start over and the wheels still run at different speeds. All connections are strong and receiving power.

Hi @Andi_Sutphen! :slight_smile: Can you send me a video of it running? Or some images of the build?

Also, were you coding the robot? Or using the Drive program? If coding, can I see the code used?

Are these 1st or 2nd Gen? You can use the Devices dashboard on the Brain to test some basics.
For 2nd Gen - On the main menu on the Brain, move to the right and select devices. Now choose use the right arrow to move to the port with the first drivetrain motor in. Press the tick button to move into the dashboard for that motor, then lift the robot off the ground and press the tick again. The motor will start spinning, and try to target 50rpm. You should see the Velocity reading being somewhere close to 50.
Now repeat for the motor on the other side and see if either have any noticeable drag or friction causing the motor to turn at much less than 50rpm.

Is this using the controller or by programming?

Great idea @Chris_Calver! Here is an article with some images @Andi_Sutphen that Chris was explaining :slight_smile:

1 Like