Self Assessment Strategies

Self-assessment activities help students to be a realistic judge of their own performance and can be used to provide voice and choice in the direction of their learning.

I would love to hear about ways that you have incorporated student self-assessments into your teaching with VEX.

• How do you have students assess their progress throughout projects? or for competition prep?

• How do you work with these self-assessments to drive your teaching?

Great question @Olivia_Kissel Looking forward to seeing insights from others

Speaking of Self Assessment Strategies! I came across this video that shows how one teacher has implemented an engaging student assessment strategy where students teach a video lesson based on content they that they have just learned. Then, they watch the video and critique their lesson.

I can see this approach working effectively with VEX, especially in today’s climate where more schools are going back to remote and hybrid learning, and where many students are becoming more adept with recording themselves, and sharing their work digitally. This assessment approach is fun, relevant and accessible for students, while also requiring meaningful engagement with the content. *These student-made video lessons could also be used to teach or introduce content, building community in the class, while also helping students identify as competent and capable in STEM and CS learners.

With VEX, students could complete a VEXcode VR Activity (say, Disk Mover Challenge), then record a video where they teach fellow students how to sequence commands, describe project flow with loops, or describe how they coded the Electromagnet in their project.

• Is this student video lesson method something that you could do with your students?
  • How could you adapt this self-assessment strategy to fit the resources and constraints of your classroom?