Spring activities

@Audra_Selkowitz Its my favorite time of year, spring! We are coming up with some activities such as coding the robot to trace a flower. What are some other spring activities you are doing in your classroom?

2 Likes

Oh wow! This is a fun topic and there are SO many things you can do! Here are a few to get things started :slight_smile:

Caterpillar - Butterfly Some years in my classroom, I would do the “growing butterflies” project (as one of my students used to call it), where you get the caterpillars, and watch them form a chrysalis, then turn into butterflies. This life cycle was a great curricular jumping off point for a lot of integrated curriculum opportunities. It could also be a fun series of activities to do with your robots:

• Very Hungry Caterpillar - Use the Art Ring to turn your 123 Robot into a caterpillar. Code it to drive through holes in leaves on the Field to eat. You could connect this to the classic story of the same name, or learn about what caterpillars actually eat and why they eat so much so fast, etc.

• Chrysalis - For the next phase of the little life of a caterpillar, you can use string and popsicle stick attached to the Art Ring to create a chrysalis, by coding the robot to turn repeatedly. This is also a simple way to introduce the concept of a loop, using the ‘Go to start’ Coder card. Basically the popsicle stick serves as the ‘caterpillar’ and as the robot turns, the string wraps around it to create an representation of a chrysalis. The longer the string you use, the larger your chrysalis will be (my string was short). Here’s a little video to help you see what I mean.

• Beautiful Butterfly - Who doesn’t love making butterflies?!?! Here we celebrate our butterflies emerging and taking flight by creating butterflies on the Art Ring and coding the robot butterfly to fly to different flowers in the garden. You could do some research into what attracts butterflies to certain plants, or try to grow your own butterfly bushes from seeds.

The same flower setup could be used for some Pollinator Projects too - turn your robot into a bee and code it to pollinate flowers around the garden. You could create flowers that stood up on the Field (or potentially even use real ones?) and use the Eye Sensor to code the robot bees to find their ‘favorite’ colored flower (red, blue, or green) to introduce the concept of color sensing.

Just getting the ball rolling here, I hope this helps @Desiree_White-Price!

2 Likes

@Audra_Selkowitz My wheels are spinning
 :grinning:

Fantastic @Desiree_White-Price! That’s the goal :slight_smile: Can’t wait to see what else you come up with!