Stanford Graduate School of Education Courses

Hello all! I was looking through some graduate courses recently and came across a few from the Stanford Graduate School of Education. They are not very expensive at all and you get Continued Education Units (CEUs) that you might be able to use for ACT 48 credits or any other type of continuing education requirements for your school.

I recently signed up for this one: Mathematical Mindsets. It looks really interesting!

There is also a book that accompanies the course that looks very helpful, found here.

Jo Boaler also wrote a ton of other really helpful books for teaching elementary and middle school mathematics. Here are some examples:

Here is the description for the course:

"The Mathematical Mindsets course helps educators inspire and boost math achievement. You’ll learn the latest neuroscientific research on the best methods by which students learn math, as well as the specific methods and approaches you can use to successfully help your students develop a growth mindset.

In this class, Dr. Jo Boaler will provide visual examples of how she taught mathematics to 6th and 7th grade students using these effective techniques. The teaching intervention, which was 18 lessons long, raised the students’ test scores by an average of 50%.

Participants will also hear from thought leaders such as Carol Dweck and Steve Strogatz.

You Will Learn

• Methods to start math class off right
  • Messages and praise we give students
  • Teaching visual mathematics
  • Approaches to designing and choosing good tasks
  • Techniques to encourage productive class and group discussions
  • Ways to encourage a mistakes-friendly environment
  • Methods of inspiring mathematical problem solving and investigation"

Here are also a few other courses I found interesting:

A full list of all Stanfords courses can be found here.

Let me know what you think! :slight_smile:

1 Like