Stories as part of STEM Labs?

The Meet Your Robot interactive storybook introduction to VEX 123 has gotten a lot of great feedback. I think part of that has to do with the fact that as elementary teachers, the method of using a book to introduce a new concept or topic is something that is intuitive and familiar for us. This has gotten me thinking a bit recently about other STEM Lab Units that follow Meet Your Robot - what if they ALL had a story to introduce the concept or coding challenge that was going to happen in the STEM Lab? Using the same 123 Robot character, and having some interactive components that students could talk about or try or observe throughout the story.

There are several reasons I think that this could be a great addition to the Engage section of the STEM Labs – first off, to give teachers that familiar experience of gathering children together on the carpet for a story to introduce what they will be doing with the robot. The PDF versions of the books can also be printed and added to a classroom library or learning center, for students to interact with independently, adding to the literacy and robotics connection. I think the character of the robot is also something that students can connect with, giving them a personal connection and impetus to care for their robots in the classroom. I could go on, but you get the idea.

I’m curious what others think of this idea - @Anna_Blake , @Jessica_Drayer , @Aimee_DeFoe, could get the conversation started?

1 Like

@Audra_Selkowitz I like it for all the reasons you mention! I love the idea of having a whole library section of 123 books! I’m imagining students writing their own stories inspired by them as well. And, the books could introduce Lab-specific vocabulary words which could be used on a computer science word wall, or in a center. Another thought is that the books could include some “unplugged” type coding activities that can engage students and get them up and moving. I’m sure there are dozens more ways they would be useful!

I agree with you @Aimee_DeFoe for especially younger grades like 3rd grade they really seem to love the VEX GO book. Today, I introduced 3rd grade to VEX GO and this was their first time building since kindergarten (due to the pandemic). I felt like the book gave the students the norm for what to expect. They also REALLY loved the building part about J.O.S.H. ! Could there be a book for STEM Labs such as the Frog or the Battle Boats? I think there could be more background given for students to get involved in the STEM Lab. Or anything with Jo! Kids LOVE Jo and want more stories with Jo. Could there be choice board activities to write an adventure with Jo? Could these be collected in a classroom book?

Similarly, K-2 are just so used to a book being an introduction I feel that this would be helpful as well with STEM Labs such as Little Red or emotions etc.

Keep me posted! I know even one more book would enthrall the kids!

2 Likes

What great pictures!

1 Like

What’s fascinating @Jason_McKenna is how pictures have become my portfolio of teaching. At the end of the year, I make a slideshow with all the pictures of the 5th graders from kindergarten to 5th grade. I sure have enough pictures by then!

1 Like

Much better than a gradebook :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Audra_Selkowitz : I love the idea of a themed story book idea for each of the STEM labs.
Would this be like a whole Vex123 storybook line? Are you thinking something along the lines of each new book introducing a new topic, for example, “Vex Sees an Eye” for introducing sensors or “Vex Going in Circles” for looping, “Vex Goes on an Adventure” for the maze lesson?
Or are you thinking of using classic stories like Red Riding Robot and having more of those?
I love the idea of stories for this age group. It was definitely the story line of the Dragon in the Village and the Red Riding Robot that so captivated and engaged the students. I often personify Vex with these kiddos, and have them say ‘Hi’ to Vex, and have them tell him it’s time to wake up and “roll” out of bed, as they roll him to wake him up. They absolutely love it! It engages them, and they have so much more care and responsibility towards him when he’s “real” to them. I feel the storybooks would be a great additional to that feel and bring in not only academic concepts, but also SEL components. Would LOVE to share more with you how the Robot Recess Games have been and how we could incorporate some stories with that! Imagining SEL concepts for how we play with our friends incorporated with the robotic aspect of the games!! !

3 Likes

SEL incorporated with storyline: Dragon in the Village and Red Riding Robot… the kids loved it!

2 Likes

That’s great to hear @Jessica_Drayer and @Anna_Blake! It’s funny you mention Col. Jo, Anna - he’s got a very rich fictional life in my mind. It would be fun to see that come to fruition somewhere! And yeah, I think another advantage to stories is that it can give you an entry point for some of the SEL that is inherently a part of coding and learning to collaborate with a group. Sometimes a robot or Col. Jo reminding students to listen and take turns can have a very different impact than a teacher saying those things!

2 Likes

I agree @Audra_Selkowitz! The students want to learn more about Col. Jo for sure. The kids would love a contest on a new story topic - I’m just putting that out there!

3 Likes

@Anna_Blake Very cool idea

1 Like