Storytelling, dragons, and more with 123!

I thought @Anna_Blake and @Aimee_DeFoe would particularly enjoy this – a new Activity Series for VEX 123! The Dragon in the Village Activity Series blends storytelling and literacy with Computer Science.

The teacher sets the stage for three new 123 Activities with a story about a village, a dragon, and a “Dragon Pushing Machine”. The Activities then use the 123 Robot to enact plot points from the story, with the 123 Robot playing various characters or story elements.

From a curriculum/teacher planning perspective, it gives the opportunity for facilitated Activities - a little more than the 123 Activities, but less than a full STEM Lab Unit.

There’s SO much flexibility when it comes to storytelling and the literacy connections! I am completely jazzed up about the thought of using the 123 Robot to reenact plot lines, act as characters, and more! :nerd_face:
Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 3.38.08 PM

6 Likes

The idea of a series is wonderful. Perfectly suited for a summer camp too! Gives all the guidance needed for materials, setting the stage, and the activities themselves in just a few pages.

Now I’m just thinking of all the other stories or fairytales this could be adapted to. Gather materials could be a great precursor to a building or design challenge in the classroom too!

2 Likes

I love this! I’m a huge fan of the idea of adding literacy to STEAM activities. There’s nothing more powerful than a story to grab kids’ imaginations and get them excited about CS!

4 Likes

Definitely my favourite 123 activity so far! Absolutely love this.

3 Likes

Glad you like it - we have more literacy ones in the works

1 Like

Was drawn to this immediately, students will love this. We are still waiting for these in Australia and can’t wait until they arrive. Will be following along and learning more. A fantastic way to integrate STEM and storytelling.

3 Likes