Summer Conferences

Good morning! Just wondering what summer conferences everyone is going to, maybe we could informally meet up for talk in person. I will be attending the CSTA conference, July 14-17th in Chicago.

I also found as I was cleaning out my files a blog I posted that I feel is still relevant today.
How to Make the Most of an Educational STEM Convention.docx (15.0 KB)

That’s some really great advice @LORI_COLANGELO! Thanks for sharing - I totally agree with the keynote point too! Often these speakers (particularly morning ones) are chosen specifically for their ability to be engaging and thought provoking - I’ve definitely left keynotes that I was iffy about from the paper description feeling inspired and with my brain percolating over things they said for days.

One thing that can be a great things from conferences (and that I personally am trying to get better at) is talking to new people. For instance, if lunch is in a large room - sit at a table with strangers. You will likely learn something new, and may find interesting touch points to connect with. It can be hard to enter into conversations with new people, but even if you just listen, you’re likely to get much more out of that lunch than if you sit alone.

@Anna_Blake I know you have oodles of conference experience - any ‘tips and tricks’ that you’ve picked up to add to the list?

I agree with meeting new people. I have made so many interesting contacts that have led to great conversations, ideas, as well as good funding tips for my projects.