Thoughts about Spin Up?

During the VRC Middle School Finals, I had the pleasure to be inside of the VEX Dome when they first presented Spin Up!

Hearing the gasps behind me as teams learned about some of the different rules was incredibly exciting. But I think my favorite part was walking out of the Dome hearing some of the strategies that students were already coming up with. I would love to know if you, as a mentor, have your own ideas about strategy or robot design! What would you want to prioritize? The rollers? The high goal? The horizontal expansion at the end?

1 Like

Having seen a glimpse of the HeroBot for Spin Up, I’m definitely intrigued…
@Mark_Johnston and @James_Salvant and @Omar_Cortez and @Daniel_Yu what were some of your students’ first impressions and initial ideas? What got them the most excited? Have any started designing or building yet? Please share any photos or designs that are in the works for your teams :slight_smile: (And please tag anyone else that has excited team members spinning out ideas :wink: hehehe)

1 Like

My students are transitioning from IQ to v5, their exact words were “it just like pitching in” we can start the beginning of of the season pushing discs until we figure out how to launch them. That’s exactly where my 6th grade team is heading. They are working with a drivetrain, passive plow and have completed their rollers as those 10 points are the ones they are prioritizing. They also began conceptualizing an end game. Here is a roller video.

1 Like

I also have a CAD screenshot of their U shaped drive train that they’ll push discs with

1 Like

Very cool @Omar_Cortez

That’s awesome! I love how they’re approaching the design process. Can’t wait to see what they do next.