Thoughts from the SERC Conference at Auburn

Last week I had the opportunity to travel to Auburn University to present at the Southern Educational Robotics Conference (SERC) hosted by the Southeaster Center of Robotics Education (S.C.O.R.E.). As always, it was a fantastic conference experience! Every participant, exhibitor, and organizer that I talked to was passionate, enthusiastic, kind, and eager to learn and to help others.

I got to talk with many educators about integrating computer science into core classes, and making connections like teaching literacy with robotics, or reinforcing math concepts with computer science. Veteran coaches were happy to offer tips and tricks to first year coaches, administrators were looking for creative ways to support their teachers to teach with VEX in the classroom, and grant writing supports were a hot topic of conversation everywhere (like grants.vex.com).

During the VEX 123 Workshop that I facilitated we got into a great conversation about how a VEX 123 Classroom Bundle could easily be used not only by the K-2 classes, but by older students in schools who are getting introduced to computer science. So in their K-8 school, these teachers were thinking that K-2 could share with the new 6-8th grade CS classes - which, as she put it - is more bang for your buck with grant money :slight_smile:

Overall, it was a great experience, that filled me with ideas for new things moving forward. Was anyone else in attendance or have any reflections to share? @Jennifer_Spencer thank you again for a wonderfully insightful and joyful learning experience!

1 Like

The conference was great. One of my favorite ones, every year. The teachers there are always so passionate and engaged with STEM.

I love the idea of the K-2 students sharing their 123 kits with the middle school kids - wouldn’t it be awesome to have them give the older kids a little coding lesson? It would be such a fun way to build community while giving both groups a chance to practice some important SEL skills as they younger students show what they’ve learned!

1 Like