Tips for VIQC to VRC Transition

1. I have coached VIQC teams for two years and I’m looking to start VRC teams in the coming year. Has anyone made this transition that can provide some tips, advice, etc. on things that I should do as well as things that I should avoid in moving to the next level of VEX competition?
  2. Also I need to submit a purchase order for VEX V5 equipment. Any suggestions on what I should purchase to support for three new VRC teams?
2 Likes

Hi @Jonathan_Haynes, answering your second point; there are two different kit options for V5: the Competition Starter Kit (link to parts list) and the Competition Super Kit (link to parts list). Both are very formidable but through my experience if you do not wish to cut metal, the Competition Starter Kit is the one to go with as the pieces are just a little bit smaller, so they’re easier to work with in addition to the claw being included. Obviously one kit per team, and I would also recommend a full suite of sensors in order to autonomize your 'bots. This article from the VEX Library is a great resource covering all the V5 sensors, in addition to links to purchase. Lastly, a couple extra batteries would be helpful in the event of a team’s battery draining - you won’t have to wait for it to charge before testing again. Hope this helps!

2 Likes

Hi @Jonathan_Haynes! Great questions! I’ll type out a more lengthy response, but I also wanted to tag @Omar_Cortez here since I know he’s transitioned his students from IQ to EXP! I know EXP isn’t the same as V5, but because EXP is still metal, transitioning from plastic to metal in general shares a lot of the same concepts :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @Jonathan_Haynes! I actually found this resource today and wanted to share, it’s from a VRC Team the Purdue SIGBots. There is a lot of great info, including new team information as well as engineering tips and tricks!

1 Like

@Seth_Ogoe_Ayim tagging you here since there are some great resources for a new V5 team!

2 Likes