Tips & Tricks

Hi! I wanted to start this thread for teachers to share some tips and tricks!

My Tip: Vocabulary

I’m starting my 3-5 graders with VEX GO. They haven’t used VEX before - and I’m going to emphasize the vocabulary such as beam or pin. I don’t want students to say, “I need to use the yellow thing.”

Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 1.05.42 AM

My Trick: Getting Used to All the Pieces

I poured the VEX GO box on the floor and made myself put each piece back in each slot. If I expect my students to do it - I need to do it myself first. I can’t help them - if I’ve never done it myself.

Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 1.07.10 AM

Keep adding friends!!

2 Likes

When I was building with my nephew recently, I found that showing him how to hold the pieces to orient them as they looked in the Build Instructions was really helpful. This is a basic example, but just to show the idea. Trying to mentally turn pieces was tricky, but physically holding them helped support the spatial awareness needed when it came time to do something more complex, like connect two halves of the Code Base. IMG_6210.HEIC

2 Likes

Great scavenger hunt activity we just created. Uses the interactive parts poster: Scavenger Hunt VEX GO Activity - Google Docs

1 Like

I really enjoyed this comment. I saw this actually happen today with spatial reasoning understanding in 4th grade.

Here’s the clip Solving Spatial Reasoning - YouTube

I have found that some kids really excel with this - and some do not.

I am going to add your exercise into my warm up for class tomorrow. I think this will help students understand orientation more.

Thanks for the helpful tip!!

1 Like