VEX 123 Recess Robot Games #1

Students love recess… and students love Robots! Our school doesn’t have a playground right now, and I was struggling to find a way to let students still feel like they have recess. Robots to the rescue!!

It worked so wonderfully with winter coming, and many more days of indoor recess ahead of us, I thought it would be great to share with the VEX community a fun way to give the kids “recess” while indoors.

Using VEX 123s, I set up the board as a 9x9 grid, but attached an extra board below where the robot started. I attached a picture below to make it more clear. I gave students dry erase markers to mark their X or O. Students had to take turns putting the 123 robot on the starting square, and then using the card coder, coding the robot to go to the square they wanted to mark with their X or O. If the code had a bug and the robot didn’t get to the intended square, if the square was blank, they could mark it. If the square was already marked, they lost their turn, it was the other student turn. This turned out to be a great way to make students so invested in getting their code correct to get their robot to the correct square. As games finished up, students were so excited to challenge the winners or play again and try to win this time.

Students loved play this new robotic version of Tic-Tac-Toe! They were motivated to correctly code, engaged and playing together with each other, loved their ‘recess’ time!

I have some other ideas of how to tweak traditional recess games into Robot Recess games, and as I try them out, I’ll share them on here, so keep checking back. Also, if anyone in the VEX community has ideas of recess games that could be modified to be played with VEX, whether it’s the 123s, GO, or IQ, share them here! Let’s get all these great ideas out!

20220309_091806|666x500

4 Likes

This sounds like so much fun, @Jessica_Drayer !

Such a good idea! Thank you for sharing, I will try it here.

1 Like

Hi @Cedric_POMMIER and welcome to the PD+ community! We hope to see you here often! Let us know how it goes if you try out @Jessica_Drayer 's fun ideas!

1 Like

I love this idea! Indoor recess season is fast approaching here, too. Fun indoor activities like this are a great resource!
I did a fun AI lesson with my 5th graders last year. They had to play Tic-Tac-Toe vs AI and create an algorithm to never lose at Tic-Tac-Toe.
Thank you for sharing!

2 Likes

I completely agree @James_Nesbitt! It’s wonderful to meet you on PD+!

I am going to mention this to my 3rd grade teachers who are struggling to find activities today for indoor recess.

I think kids are familiar with VEX and want to explore. This is a great idea @Jessica_Drayer!

1 Like