VEX GO Intro to Building

I wanted to make a topic for the STEM Lab: Intro to Building. I really liked the Mission to Mars Thread - and I wanted to ask how others are using this STEM Lab.

I have found a few interesting and fun things that happened when I introduced this to my 5th grade, 4th grade and 3rd grade classes.

1. Every group immediately made Jo when they were done building J.O.S.H. Interesting right? I would totally suggest it - the students loved Jo and J.O.S.H.

2. Students are fascinated by space. I found this out pretty quick after introducing Jo and how he’ll help us discover perseverance. I got questions about when we were making a robot for Jo in space immediately. Mission to Mars is my next STEM Lab for sure.

3. Every class asked for “free time” to build with the kit. Now this really surprised me. They just really wanted to discover and explore. This gave me an idea to add this in for each class period to allow for that creativity and making with VEX GO. I think this will be my “cool down” activity for students before giving the class back to their general education teacher.

I’m interested in your experiences and insights - I feel reflection and learning from others is so important to the teaching profession.

Thanks everyone! I’m sharing some pics below! :smiley:

IMG_7522 IMG_7525 IMG_7529

3 Likes

If your students come up with any fun build ideas or challenges, you should totally submit them as Activities! I’d love to see what ideas they come up with and how the rest of us could remix them. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Anna_Blake This is all great stuff. Love hearing that the students just want to build. That was one of the things we were hoping VEX GO would foster - students naturally being creative and building with the GO kit.

And yes, reflection and learning from other teachers is so important. Hence why we created this site.

1 Like