VEX GO Mission to Mars

Has anyone started working with the GO Mission to Mars STEM Lab Units?
How have you connected these units to the Mars 2020 mission with your students?

I’ve been following Perseverance on Twitter and IG - and Perseverance tweeted its first selfie! Following Perseverance on social media could be a great way to bring the Mission to Mars STEM Lab Units to life in the classroom.

1 Like

So this is my plan next week! I gave a little survey today to the kids - and wow are they engaged by space! Thank you for sharing the link. I know the kids were so pumped to be building a robot - I think space took them over the moon (or Mars right?).

Thanks for sharing. I’ll let you know how the lesson goes next week! Thanks!

1 Like

Please do @Anna_Blake
I don’t know if you’ve had a chance to start following NASAPersevere yet, but I saw this on Perseverance’s Twitter feed yesterday -

Studying Martian rock and soil samples is EXACTLY the scenario for the Mars Rover- Exploring Mars Geology STEM Lab. This is truly a great resource for making real-world connections for the students.
I can’t wait to see what you do w/ this Anna!

1 Like

This is 100% perfect and this is exactly what I need for my lesson next week. I feel like the kids need that authentic connection and this is beyond stellar!

Thank you! I’ll let you know how it goes!

1 Like

UPDATE!

I just saw on the Sunday Night 60 Minutes special about the Perserverance Rover and Ingenuity Helicopter duo.

So I’m starting the Mars Rover Unit with my kiddos and I also have drones. So I’m going to recreate the Mars mission with my students as an end of the year Epic Challenge.

Here’s the link from YouTube: Perseverance rover, Ingenuity helicopter, and the search for ancient life on Mars - YouTube

IMG_8464
IMG_8465

I wanted to share - the kids loved the authentic connection and I’m so pumped!

1 Like

This will be amazing. Keep us updated

1 Like

How fantastic!!! I can’t wait to hear all about it! :smiley:

1 Like

How exciting to have the drones, too! Please share all the pics! :smile:

1 Like

@Anna_Blake - check out this free-build for the Mars Rover- this could be a fun extension activity for your students.

https://twitter.com/tsuiallen/status/1393943373199953933?s=21

1 Like

I love this! Thanks for sharing! Yes the kids are beyond - it will be a wonderful Epic Challenge for the end of the year!

1 Like

Right? We are practicing Swift coding right now - so it’s perfect timing to apply those drone skills!

1 Like

Right? I’m super pumped about it. If you have any ideas for the environment set up - I’m all ears. I’m thinking outside - on grass. I was going to build ramps. I have obstacle hoops. I’m just worried about VEX codebase - but we will solve this! Outdoors here we go!

1 Like

Thank you! I will!

@Anna_Blake I think the Field Tiles could be ideal for an outdoor implementation - as long as they’re on a flat surface, that could be a good solution for running the Code Base outside without too many issues. Just a thought :slight_smile:

1 Like

That is an exceptional idea! I bought the Classroom Bundle - so I do have the tiles! And the walls! Thank you for the suggestion!

1 Like