VEX Hour of Code Activities for 2022!

Hour of Code 2022 is fast approaching, and we are hard at work putting the finishing touches on a host of fun and exciting activities for the big day! This year, we are offering coding activities across the VEX Continuum, including a Castle Crasher activity for every platform from 123 to EXP! Here is a sneak preview of what is coming up!

For VEX 123:

• Castle Crasher 123: (Coder) Use the Art Ring to add a castle crashing tool to your 123 Robot and code it to Crash all the castles on the Field into the Crash Zone without falling off!
  • Squirrel Away! (Touch) Turn your 123 Robot into a squirrel using the Art Ring, and code it to gather as many acorns as possible and hide them in a tree for the winter!

For VEX GO:

• Castle Crasher GO: Code the Code Base Robot to clear as many castles as possible from the Field in two minutes without falling off. Modify your robot to more successfully crash the Castles!
  • Robots on Parade: Turn your robot into a Computer Science themed parade float, and code it to travel a parade route with other Robots!

For VEX IQ:

• Castle Crasher IQ: Compete to see which team can clear all the castles off the Field the fastest! Each team must code their robot to compete completely autonomously.
  • Maze Race: Compete to solve a maze as quickly as possible by Coding the Speed Build and using the Bumper Switch. The fastest time wins!

For VEX EXP:

• Castle Crasher EXP: Compete to see which team can clear all the castles off the Field the fastest! Each team must code their robot to compete completely autonomously.

• Pizza Delivery: Code the Speed Build to successfully deliver pizzas to the correct houses in this tasty challenge!

For VEXcode VR:

Coral Reef Cleanup: Code the VR Ocean Cleaning Robot to clean as much trash as possible off the Mangrove Reef before the solar-powered batteries on your robot run down!

VEX GO Competition: Mars Math Expedition: Code your Hero Robot to collect and deliver samples from craters to the Lab on Mars!

Castle Crasher + : Write code for the VR Robot to clear as much of the castle as quickly as possible, but don’t fall into the water!

VIQC Virtual Skills: Pitching In: Get as many points as you can in one minute by pitching balls into the low and high goals in the Pitching In Competition.

Rover Rescue: Code your Robot Rover to stay alive for as long as possible by collecting fuel cells and fighting enemies on Planet Debug.

VRC Spin Up: Code your robot to get as many points as possible by shooting discs into Low and High Goals, and spinning the Rollers!

@Anna_Blake Hopefully this is helpful to you in your planning!

3 Likes

@Aimee_DeFoe I really loved this activities. I talked with my tech team and we are so excited to do these. I put them in a google doc to share with the team.

Will the google doc lessons be available next week?

Here’s what I have so far :smiley:

Link: EF Hour of Code Activities K-12 - Google Docs

This is awesome, @Anna_Blake ! I hope you will take lots of pictures to share. Yes, the activities will be live next week! I will be sure to post an announcement and ping you when they are.

1 Like

@Aimee_DeFoe Mentioned the VEXcode VR Update with the VEX GO Mars Math Expedition. We’ve been working hard on it, I wanted to provide a preview.

Looking forward to everyone getting a chance to play!

1 Like

THANK YOU for the previews! I’m going to send these to my team. We made our schedule. It’s going to be an AWESOME VEX Hour of Code at my district - Elizabeth Forward.

CS Ed Week Agenda 12.7.22.pdf (589.1 KB)

1 Like

My classroom has been chosen to be showcased when our Apple Inc. Reps come to town during CS Ed Week. We will be working on the Mars Math Expedition Competition. Our big competition will be in January but we’ve started building and practicing.

I’m totally going to now think about showing this VR activity off as well! How neat. Kids really love the Virtual Reality aspect. They love the block-based coding and easy to use aspect.

3 Likes

That’s great @Anna_Blake And your schedule looks amazing

Just wanted to let everyone know that the Hour Of Code site is now live: https://hoc.vexrobotics.com/

2 Likes