VEX IQ Charging Station

I am starting a whole class gen 2 course for my students. Can anyone share with me the best way to charge and manage all their batteries, brains and remotes?

@Anna_Blake / @LORI_COLANGELO / @Mark_Johnston do you guys have any insights on this from your own classroom experience? :slight_smile:

Currently I am just using a sharpie to write on the brains and remotes and the charging is a bunch of crazy wires over the counter.

It’s been a few years since I used this method in my museum classroom, but I always used old shoe boxes for my charging stations! You can divide the inside into two sections (I used the extra cardboard from the lid) so you have one set of Brain/Battery/Controllers on one side and then another set on the other side of the divider.

I would cut holes in the back of the box for each section so cables could just snake in from the back. Then I was able to take an old bookcase from another department and position a power strip on each shelf that then I could just keep everything plugged in.

This is a super rough sketch since I was not able to find any photos of my old setup, but hopefully it helps make my explanations make a bit more sense! (shoebox with holes on the left and bookcase with power strips on the right)

I have two surge protectors on my countertop with the chargers plugged in. I have the batteries numbered to match the kits and a few extras charged in case there’s a quick switch needed.
I saw this a few years ago at a school. The robot and remote were labeled after famous pairs. Ex. Luke and Leia, Thelma and Louise. The kids get a kick out of it and its easy to match a lost remote quickly to a robot.