VEX PD+ Live Sessions: Coding with Blocks in VEXcode

Welcome to the thread for the “Coding with Blocks in VEXcode” Live Session! Here, you have the opportunity to discuss with VEX Experts and educators from around the world about Block coding with 123, GO, IQ, EXP, V5, and VEXcode VR. You can also ask questions and provide suggestions for what you would like to see discussed during each session in this series. We’re so excited to learn with you! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello everyone! Welcome to the “Coding with Blocks in VEXcode” Live Session! I’m so excited!

Our first session is on Wednesday April 19th 6:30 - 7:30 Eastern Time, if you haven’t registered yet, please do!

During this session, we will be exploring the problem of wanting to control multiple mechanisms within the same program, but the Device Configuration button assignment to the Controller is limited. To address this problem, we will explore multiple different examples on how to create a toggle switch, turning a motor (or other device) on and off using only one button!

If you have any questions, please post them here and I can’t wait to see everyone on Wednesday! :slight_smile:

Hello everyone! Thank you so much for attending this session! In case you missed it or would like to view it again, here is the recording.

Also, here is the slideshow that I used during the session.

Additionally, here are the VEXcode projects I used during the session:
Example1.iqblocks (5.8 KB)
Example2.iqblocks (5.7 KB)
Example3.iqblocks (5.7 KB)
Example4.iqblocks (5.7 KB)
Example5.iqblocks (6.3 KB)

Please let me know if you have any questions and I look forward to seeing everyone during the next session! :slight_smile:

Hi all,
I am so looking forward to our PD+ Live Session this evening for the Coding with Blocks in VEXcode Series! We frequently get asked questions about where to begin with teaching coding, so tonight’s session will focus on the VEXcode VR resources available to support teachers who are looking to get started teaching coding. We’ll talk about things like VR Activities, the Computer Science Level 1 Blocks Course, scope and sequences, using VR with physical robots, and ways to make these resources come to life in your classroom.

The Zoom link for the Session is Meeting Registration - Zoom

Hello everyone,
Thanks to those who were in attendance for last night’s Live Session :slight_smile: If you couldn’t join live, have no fear - the recording will be added to the PD+ Video Library shortly (I’ll update this thread with the link once it’s added.)

The focus of last night’s session was on how to get started teaching coding using VEXcode VR. The TeachVR.vex.com page was used as an organizer for the session, particularly the Scope and Sequences that break down the Computer Science Level 1 - Blocks course into Lesson plans paired with Activities and the Educator Certification. Other Teacher Resources (like the VR Teacher Portal) were shown as well, with the goal of giving teachers who are be preparing to teach coding a starting point and tools to make their planning and teaching a bit easier and a lot less scary :slight_smile:

Here is a link to the slides from the session (they also contain links to VEXcode VR, the Teach VR page, Activities, the Blocks Course, and the Certification) Coding with Blocks in VEXcode Session #2 - May 2023 - Google Slides

If you have any advice to give to teachers just getting started teaching coding, please share it in this thread! And if you have any questions, or ideas for future sessions, post those as well.

1 Like