VEX PD+ Live Sessions: Math and Robotics

Welcome to the thread for the “Math and Robotics” Live Session! Here, you have the opportunity to discuss with VEX Experts and educators from around the world about how robotics is a great way to teach and build understandings with a wide range of mathematical concepts. You can also ask questions and provide suggestions for what you would like to see discussed during each session in this series. We’re so excited to learn with you! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello and welcome to the “Math and Robotics” Live session! I cannot even begin to tell you how excited I am :slight_smile:

Our first session is on April 12th if you haven’t registered yet, please do so!

If you have specific questions or requests for what you would like to discuss during the session, please post here! So excited to see you all in a couple weeks! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hello everyone! So excited for our first session on Wednesday April 12th Eastern Time!

During this first session, we will be exploring how we can use math (more specifically the Pythagorean Theorem) in order to calculate the most efficient path when navigating a robot autonomously from point A to point B!

We will explore this idea first in VEXcode VR, before seeing how we can code a physical VEX IQ robot to perform the same behaviors.

If you have any questions, please post them here and I can’t wait to see everyone on Wednesday! :slight_smile:

Hello and thank you to everyone for attending the first Live Session! I sent out certificates for those of you who logged in via email and here is the link to the recording if you missed it!

Both VEXcode projects are also included (VR and IQ), as well as the image that can be uploaded to the VEXcode VR Art Canvas+ Playground.

Hope to see you all at the next session! :slight_smile:

Math Live Session.vrblocks (32.6 KB)

Pythag.iqblocks (14.6 KB)

Hello everyone! We have our next Math and Robotics next week and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or input for what I should discuss. I’d love to hear your thoughts :slight_smile:

Hello everyone! So excited for our second session on Wednesday May 10th at 6:30 pm Eastern Time!

During this session, we will be exploring the math behind how Drivetrain blocks work! More specifically, how can we use math and the outputs of Motor Encoders to calculate how many individual wheel turns we will need in order to autonomously drive the robot forward and in reverse, make a swing turn, as well as a point turn!

Why is this important? Custom Drivetrains (possibly for VRC robot designs) cannot use the pre-configured Drivetrain templates in VEXcode. This means individual motor commands are needed.

We will explore these ideas using three different types of V5 wheels. If you have any questions, please post them here and I can’t wait to see everyone soon! :slight_smile:

Hello and thank you to everyone for attending the second Math and Robotics Live Session from May 10th! I sent out certificates for those of you who logged in via email and here is the link to the recording if you missed it!

All VEXcode V5 projects used during the session are also included below:
Competition.v5blocks (5.4 KB)
Driving (2.75).v5blocks (6.4 KB)
Point Turn (3.25).v5blocks (6.4 KB)
Point Turn (90).v5blocks (6.4 KB)
Swing Turn (4).v5blocks (6.0 KB)

Hope to see you all at the next session! :slight_smile:

@Molly_Gomes tagging you here just to see if anything I have here V5 related is of any interest to you! :slight_smile:

Oh my gosh, Lauren! This is so cool! Just skimming the surface, but would be a perfect activity to share with our math teachers.
My goal is to do a workshop during one of our teacher inservice days next year - probably in February 2024. I want to have at least one activity to share with each of the core subjects.

That sounds amazing! I know the Workcell has many many math applications as well (something I want to show off in one of these live sessions here in the future), but if you have any specific ideas you’d like me to focus on, or if any of your math teachers have any input, questions, or requests, please let me know :slight_smile:

1 Like

Lauren, I will like to connect to discuss more on the V5 topic since we will be starting our first high school team this season.
Let me know what is best time to connect

Hi @Seth_Ogoe_Ayim! Starting a new team is very exciting!

I tagged you in some other threads here in PD+ to help you get started :slight_smile: I’ll also tag @Omar_Cortez as he has competition teams and can provide a lot of great insight from experience!

Where are you so far in the team process? Have you already registered? Have you also connected with your REC Team Engagement Manager? You can find out who that is by using this map. They have a lot of great information for new teams.

I’m excited to help you get started on this journey with your students!

1 Like