VEX Robotics Community Introductions

Hey everyone! My name is Alaina Caulkett, and I am an educational developer here with VEX Robotics.

Prior to joining the team, I was a science museum educator specializing in summer camps and scout programs! So I love talking about informal education and how to incorporate robotics and CS in all sorts of learning environments.

Can’t wait to hear more about everyone’s background and how they’re incorporating VEX into their classrooms! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Educational Biography:

My educational and professional background is varied and eccentric. I did a variation of public school, home study, and community college courses to earn my high school diploma. Sufficed to say, I did not go through school traditionally. After high school, I worked for a call center, joined the military, and then became a stock broker. After a decade break from school I decided to finally finish my degree. Did a few things after that before coming to my senses and became a teacher!

Promo for the classes I teach right now: Why STEM Class? (at Bel Air Middle School?) - YouTube

Certifications:

Standard Texas Teaching Certifications:

• Technology Applications EC-12
  • General Education 4-8
  • Special Education EC-12

PLTW Certifications:

• Automation & Robotics
  • Design & Modeling
  • Medical Detectives
  • Green Architecture

Experience:

In my first year as a Middle School teacher, I taught 8th Grade Math the next year I taught 7th Grade Science, 8th Grade Science, and 6th/7th Grade Gateway to Technology. I have received professional training from Project Lead The Way (PLTW) for Automation and Robotics, Design and Modeling, Medical Detectives, and Green Architecture. I am currently employed as the STEM Teacher at Bel Air MS in El Paso, TX. In spring of 2019 I was accepted into the PLTW Master Teacher program and helped to certify other teachers for Green Architecture.

I am excited to be apart of this community and encourage other teachers to use VEX to inspire their students to choose careers in the STEM field.

3/17/2022 Update:
This school year, I accepted a job teaching at JM Hanks High School in El Paso, TX. It has been really fun learning to teach high school.

My youtube channel has continued to grow. Please check it out https://www.youtube.com/MarkJohnston

6 Likes

Hi everyone I’m Dave Kelly. I am a retired science teacher of 35 years. I started competitive robotics in 1996 with US FIRST (now FRC) forming Team 134 out of Pembroke Academy, a public high school in Pembroke, New Hampshire. We were very successful with several Regional championships and trips to the FIRST World Championships. I was also very honored to be the recipient of the Chesapeake Regional Woodie Flowers award In 2009.

As a FIRST team we received the IFI Educational Robot kit, this was the 1st precursor to the VEX V5 system of today. In 2004, we competed at WPI’s Savage Soccer, which I believe was the first VEX-based robotics competition ever held. We also started hosting Savage Soccer - North competitions at Pembroke Academy. Back then we would fill in the match schedules by pulling ping pong balls with the teams’ numbers out of a paper bag.

In 2008, I volunteered to help the people at Radio Shack run the FIRST VEX Challenge “Bridge Battle”, the first official VEX Robotics Competition.

In 2012, I decided to have Team 134 compete solely with VEX, and we no longer did both FIRST and VEX.

Team 134 started its yearly pilgrimages to the VEX World Championship. Where in 2013, I was honored with the Teacher of the Year award and in 2014, Team134A were part of the VWC Art Division alliance champions.

When I retired in 2018, Team 134, had 13 teams, had received over 500 awards, and we were Event Partners for over 35 competitions.

Two months after retirement I was diagnosed with the progressive neurological disease, ALS. Of all the things I could have shared with Stephen Hawkin, I would have picked something else.

Life has become a challenge since retirement.

My wife and I run four elementary VEX IQ teams and competitions in our home town of Hill, New Hampshire. I have kept busy volunteering at VEX competitions, consulting for Robomatter, and expanding my YouTube Channel, https://www.youtube.com/scidkelly .

7 Likes

@David_Kelly It’s a great youtube channel with excellent content! I highly recommend that everyone subscribe!

3 Likes

Hi Everyone,

My name is Jason McKenna and I am the Director of Educational Strategy for VEX Robotics. I am a former classroom teacher. I taught for 20 years in a school district right outside of Pittsburgh, PA. The last few years I taught, I was introduced to educational robotics and it has been a whirlwind since.

6 Likes

Hi everyone, I’m Audra Selkowitz, and I’m also part of the Education Team with VEX Robotics. Prior to joining VEX, I was an early childhood and elementary teacher for 15 years. I spent many years in a program inspired by the Reggio Emilia Approach, and then carried that pedagogy into my teaching in Kindergarten and early elementary years, in an independent school with a maker-centered approach.

I am passionate about creating curriculum and products that inspire a love of learning and a disposition for inquiry for children and adults alike. I can’t wait to see how everyone is using VEX to bring their students learning to life! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I am very excited to be a part of this professional community!
A little bit about my background. I have taught pretty much every grade over 20 years at a private school near Pittsburgh, PA. I went back to earn my masters in Technology Education and Curriculum Design in 2016 after raising my three awesome kids. I then switched to the private sector and worked for Robomatter for two years before moving back into teaching (this time high school). I am currently a 9-12 technology instructor, teaching CAD, CAM, Robotics and Animation, as well as a curriculum consultant for a few educational companies.
I believe that the best education model strikes a balance between delivering knowledge while also considering the interests and experiences of the student. VEX’s educational platform is a great example of bridging a student’s interest in robotics and connecting it to the world around them through interactive, experimental activities that promote computational thinking skills.

3 Likes

Hi everyone! Thanks so much for sharing info about yourselves. (Now, I can stalk you properly- LOL!)

My name is Olivia Kissel, and I’m an education developer here at VEX Robotics. Before joining the team here at VEX, I was a classroom teacher with Pittsburgh Public Schools (PPS) where I taught Gifted ED, Writing, and STEAM Ed. to K-5 students for the last 3 years. I’m passionate about making STEM education more accessible and inclusive for women and POC. So, if you come across research, resources, or inspiration on these topics, please send it my way!

I’ve also taught and developed curriculum with start-up accelerators and tech facilities such as AlphaLab Gear and TechShop that centered around making and entrepreneurship with a focus on working with 2D/ 3D modeling, and CNC fabrication (Laser and plasma cutters and some 3D printing). I love working with big machines that use lasers and fire to cut through metal. :fire:

In addition to being an educator, I’m also an artist- forever trying to find a balance between teaching and making. This is a 25 ft interactive sculpture that I designed which was installed last year.

Sculpture

If you’d like to see more pics of my work, check out my work sample photo album here.

I hope to find time to make more artwork, but as of now, I’m geeked about working with robots and making fun and accessible learning resources that inspire students, teachers, and parents to build and code robots. I look forward to digging into your youtubes and working with you more in the future!

3 Likes

I love how you added all the certifications! Totally awesome.

Nice to meet you! I’m adding your YouTube channel to my list - check me out at Pittsburgh STEAM Station :smiley:

1 Like

Hi Everyone! My name is Anna Blake. I’m an Elementary Tech Integrator at Elizabeth Forward SD in Pittsburgh, PA. This year I’m using VEX GO in my 3-5 classrooms. I have the VEX GO Classroom Bundle - and I’m loving the storage.

A little about me… I teach Computational Thinking and Computer Science to K-5. I teach over 400 children the fundamentals of computational thinking and computer science to grades K through 5 with applications like VEXcode VR, and Swift Playgrounds to robotics like BeeBots and Parrot drones. I have presented at the Sonoma County Remake Summit '18, TRETC '19, TRETC '20, TRETC '21, PETE&C '19, PETE&C '20, PETE&C '21, STEAM Summit at AIU3 '19, ISTE19, and ISTE Tools That Work '20 about computational thinking and making in the elementary school setting. I’m presenting at Tech Talk Live and ISTE 21 about VEXcode VR - come and check it out!

Please follow and share with me what you’re doing with VEX on twitter @annavblake
You can enjoy pictures of my frenchie on insta @teachingwithAVB
And of course I’m a YouTuber like @David_Kelly and @Mark_Johnston at Pittsburgh STEAM Station

I’m so happy to meet you all!!

Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 1.35.45 AM

5 Likes

I’m Chris Calver and I’m part of the VEX team over here in the UK. I’ve been involved in STEM education for the best part of 20 years and with educational robotics for more than 10.
I’ve got my own personal little VEX 123 and VEX GO tester here - she certainly puts them through their paces.

5 Likes

Hello everyone! My name is Lauren Harter and i’m also part of the Education team here at VEX.

A little bit on my background, I taught high school math for a few years at Serra Catholic high in White Oak PA. At the same time I also worked for Apple in Shadyside. While I was teaching, I was also getting my masters from Duquesne in Secondary Ed Mathematics. Once I finished with that, I left teaching high school to teach higher Ed in many colleges in and around Pittsburgh including Point Park, Penn State Beaver, St. Vincent College, Duquesne University, Chatham University, and Carlow University.

I’ve taught a range of math topics from Algebra and Calculus all the way up to Differential Equations and Biostatistics. I’ve also taught educational courses and pedagogy such as how to incorporate tech into your classroom as a pre-service teacher. I do love me some math! I’m now wrapping up the end of my Doctorate in Instructional Technology from Duquesne University.

I also coach a VRC team here in Pittsburgh from CAPA high school. Here’s a pic of me and the kids after they won their award at States last year! Very proud of them for making it to Worlds during their first season competing!
F1EB80BD-5CF8-4242-AAB1-4F49D27AC147

I’m excited to be part of this community and share ideas and experiences!

4 Likes

Hi all,

My name is Steve Henderson, I’m a STEAM teacher in Australia. I work for a regional school in northern New South Wales and we have just joined the Vex family.

I really enjoyed the use of the VR system during covid and was able to teach students some fantastic concepts that were really engaging with the scratch drop and drag system.

My background previously to being a teacher was as a software engineer and I’m very keen to learn as much about the VEX ecosystem and how to apply it to the classroom.

We have purchased both the IQ and the V5 systems and were able to compete in our first competition last year.

Looking forward to hearing how others incorporate VEX into the classroom.

5 Likes

Welcome to the VEX Community, so glad to have you here! :smile:

Hi Stephen- Welcome to the family! I look forward to hearing about your work w/ VEX in the classroom.

Welcome to the community! Australia is on my list of places to visit in 2022. Keep us updated with any tips and tricks. I love hearing how teachers use VEX robotics. I’m using VEX GO in 3-5 and VEXcode VR in 1-5. Nice meeting you!

Hey guys! I’m Omar Cortez over in Dallas Texas!

I currently teach VEXIQ and V5 at the middle school level and coach 2 IQ teams and a VRC team. Go OWLBOTS! 3028x, 3028g and 3028y!

it is in my nature to help others out and I create a website to do just that, mrcortezrobotics.com

but with this here I can share my resources directly with you guys.

I do have twitter @mrcortezrobotic and Instagram @mrcortezrobotics

as well as a youtube :Youtube

Please reach out if there’s anything I can help with!

I look forward to hearing from you guys!

Robot on!
-Omar

5 Likes

Hi Omar! Welcome! I’m following you on Twitter as well, and enjoy seeing all the great stuff you are doing with your students. I especially enjoyed the video of your students’ version of the Loop, There it Is STEM Lab. That one is definitely on of my favorites. I’m sure you have many great tips and tricks to share with the PD+ community - I look forward to reading them!

1 Like

@Omar_Cortez So happy to have your insight and expertise added to our PD+ community!

1 Like