Back to School Ideas - VEX IQ

Let’s share some Back to School resources that can help us get the new school year off smoothly!

2 Likes

IQ Charging Station Mini Posters

3 Likes

IQ Mini-Poster-End of Class Period

2 Likes

IQ Exit Ticket

3 Likes

Love the exit tickets. Great idea

2 Likes

one of the things that I appreciate about the Exit Tickets is that they ask the student to make a plan so they have a voice in the direction of their learning!

2 Likes

Classroom Layout- This is my classroom layout if anyone is looing for ideas. I am going to e adding a table to the back of the room for the VEX Workcell we are suppose to be getting, which will be a great addition to my program. I found having the charging station and extra parts near my desk helped with making sure clean up happened and monitoring the more expensive equipment.
classroom layout

Sample Curriculum and Lesson Plan Format- This is a sample of one of my curriculum plans that I use as well as the Project Based Lesson Plan that I link to the plan.

@LORI_COLANGELO Love this, this is a question that we get a lot. Thanks for sharing

1 Like

VEX IQ Part Labels- Place on Bins or baskets after printing on Avery 8923 Shipping Labels

VEX IQ Labels.pdf (412.1 KB)

You can never have too many labels! This could also be a great way for students to get familiar with the organization in the classroom - like having incoming students sort materials or label spaces themselves.

1 Like

I find that the students help themselves to parts from the bin and then the kits are a crazy mess at the end of the year. I created this parts sign out to alleviate the problem. It also lets me know if specific parts are being taken if they are always missing. Parts Sign Out.pdf (232.8 KB)

It always seems like there is that group that always needs some extra time to finish their robot. Meanwhile the other students are itching to try out their new creations. Here’s a game to play (no coding necessary) to keep the finishers busy.Musical Gears.pdf (341.8 KB)

3 Likes

@LORI_COLANGELO, so excited to try Musical Gears with our students. This will be great for the fast finishers.

Thanks for sharing all of these great resources @LORI_COLANGELO !
I was looking at your Robotics Course Overview and I really like the flow that you have for your course:

• Introducing the students to building

• Coding basic movements

• Introducing sensors

• Project flow w/ loops

• Conditionals

Plus- you include time for Robot Games - Great Stuff!

I have a question for you. Looking at the time you plan for each of the STEM Labs. I’m curious to know — How often do your students attend your class?

I think this info could help a new teacher use this as a reference when planning their own lessons.

@Michele_Pikunic Let us know how it goes!

Thanks, I have some other games I’m going to post.

I meet with the kids every day for 40 mins for a semester.

1 Like

I really love these exit tickets. I’m going to try something similar now. I want to use our LMS Canvas more - so I will have the kids log onto canvas, find my course, and then take this exit ticket. I can use speed grader and go through each response. My class isn’t graded so it’s wonderful that kids feel good about completing these types of assignments as a way to express their voice and choice. Thanks for the ideas @LORI_COLANGELO !!

Here is a quick unplugged worksheet I am doing on the second day of school just to get the kids introduced to the kit.
I have gen 1 but this can easily be done for gen 2